VMware ships Workstation for virtualizing Windows 7
IDG News Service - VMware has added support for Windows 7 and expanded the ability to handle virtual processors in Workstation 7, the new version of its platform for running multiple OSes simultaneously on a PC.
The new version of Workstation, announced Tuesday, supports the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7. VMware Workstation 7 also works with features in the Windows 7 interface -- Flip 3D and Aero Peek -- to show live thumbnail pictures of a user's virtual machines.
Installing Microsoft's new OS on a virtual machine is easier than on a physical PC, according to VMware. Also, for Windows 7 users who want to keep using Windows XP, Workstation outperforms Windows 7's own Windows XP mode, it said.
Other new features include improved 3D graphics and more advanced CPU support.
Users can create virtual machines with up to four virtual processors or four virtual cores, and up to 32GB of memory per virtual machine. They can also pause a virtual machine to free up more CPU resources, according to VMware.
Additionally, VMware hasn't forgotten about developers who use Workstation. Version 7 works with the SpringSource Tools Suite and Eclipse IDE for C/C++ developer environments. Replay debugging, a technology that allows a developer to reproduce what's going on in a virtual machine, is now easier and faster, VMware said
Workstation 7 costs US$189. Users who upgrade from previous versions of the program pay US$99.
- Workload Change: The 70 Percent of Your Business DevOps Forgot Adding WLA early in the development process ensures that the benefits of DevOps accrue for all applications, including your batch services. This paper...
- Oracle EBS and RAC Performance & Elasticity on Vblock™ Systems VCE Vblock™ Systems provide simple, low-risk solutions for migrating from a physical to virtual environment.
- Backup and Recovery of Oracle EBS on VCE Vblock™ Systems This solution architecture describes the key features and benefits of backup and recovery in the virtualized Oracle EBS on Vblock Systems with EMC...
- Zero Downtime Migration for Oracle EBS R12 with RAC on Vblock™ Systems The validation testing of a typical customer configuration outlined in this white paper, utilizes a virtualized Oracle EBS environment. The results illustrate that...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!