VMware ships Workstation for virtualizing Windows 7
IDG News Service - VMware has added support for Windows 7 and expanded the ability to handle virtual processors in Workstation 7, the new version of its platform for running multiple OSes simultaneously on a PC.
The new version of Workstation, announced Tuesday, supports the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7. VMware Workstation 7 also works with features in the Windows 7 interface -- Flip 3D and Aero Peek -- to show live thumbnail pictures of a user's virtual machines.
Installing Microsoft's new OS on a virtual machine is easier than on a physical PC, according to VMware. Also, for Windows 7 users who want to keep using Windows XP, Workstation outperforms Windows 7's own Windows XP mode, it said.
Other new features include improved 3D graphics and more advanced CPU support.
Users can create virtual machines with up to four virtual processors or four virtual cores, and up to 32GB of memory per virtual machine. They can also pause a virtual machine to free up more CPU resources, according to VMware.
Additionally, VMware hasn't forgotten about developers who use Workstation. Version 7 works with the SpringSource Tools Suite and Eclipse IDE for C/C++ developer environments. Replay debugging, a technology that allows a developer to reproduce what's going on in a virtual machine, is now easier and faster, VMware said
Workstation 7 costs US$189. Users who upgrade from previous versions of the program pay US$99.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts