Android comes to an e-reader called Alex
Device, due out by year's end, would have two screens
Computerworld - Android is known for smartphones but the mobile platform will also power the new Alex e-reader from a Fremont, Calif., company called Spring Design Inc.
Alex, with two screens, one positioned above the other, will be released by year's end, according to a statement from the company, which is best known for its Link Notes publishing tool. Spring Design was founded in 2006. Pricing was not announced.
With the dual-screen design, users can read a text or newspaper on the larger upper screen, which uses monochrome electronic paper display technology, and also check hyperlinked multimedia information on the lower, smaller color LCD screen. The upper measures 6 inches diagonally, while the lower is 3.5 inches. The e-reader also includes an earphone port and speakers.
A removable SD card is available to increase storage capabilities. Spring Design described the device as "ideal for professional, educational and entertainment markets."
Spring Design CEO Priscilla Lu said the design could potentially create an industry for authors wanting to create secondary content that can be hyperlinked to text. A history text could be supplemented with historical photographs, or even movies, for example.
The Android operating system will help support integration between the color and monochrome displays, while minimizing battery usage, Spring Design said. The Alex has Android's Web browsing capabilities and additional "smartphone capabilities," but the company did not elaborate.
Presumably the device could support IP voice calls, since it works over Wi-Fi and EVDO and GSM.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!