Android comes to an e-reader called Alex
Device, due out by year's end, would have two screens
Computerworld - Android is known for smartphones but the mobile platform will also power the new Alex e-reader from a Fremont, Calif., company called Spring Design Inc.
Alex, with two screens, one positioned above the other, will be released by year's end, according to a statement from the company, which is best known for its Link Notes publishing tool. Spring Design was founded in 2006. Pricing was not announced.
With the dual-screen design, users can read a text or newspaper on the larger upper screen, which uses monochrome electronic paper display technology, and also check hyperlinked multimedia information on the lower, smaller color LCD screen. The upper measures 6 inches diagonally, while the lower is 3.5 inches. The e-reader also includes an earphone port and speakers.
A removable SD card is available to increase storage capabilities. Spring Design described the device as "ideal for professional, educational and entertainment markets."
Spring Design CEO Priscilla Lu said the design could potentially create an industry for authors wanting to create secondary content that can be hyperlinked to text. A history text could be supplemented with historical photographs, or even movies, for example.
The Android operating system will help support integration between the color and monochrome displays, while minimizing battery usage, Spring Design said. The Alex has Android's Web browsing capabilities and additional "smartphone capabilities," but the company did not elaborate.
Presumably the device could support IP voice calls, since it works over Wi-Fi and EVDO and GSM.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts