MySQL cofounder says Oracle should sell database
IDG News Service - Oracle Corp. should resolve antitrust concerns over its acquisition of Sun Microsystems Inc. by selling open-source database MySQL to a suitable third party, its cofounder and creator Michael "Monty" Widenius said in a blog post today.
Oracle's $7.4 billion acquisition of Sun is being held up by an investigation by the European Commission. The commission's main concern seems to be MySQL, which was acquired by Sun in January 2008 for $1 billion. A takeover by the world's leading proprietary database company of the world's leading open-source database company compels the regulator to closely examine the effects on the European market, according to remarks made by Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes last month.
The European Union's antitrust regulator is right to be concerned about Oracle taking over MySQL, according to Widenius, who left Sun in February. MySQL needs a different home than Oracle where there will be no conflicts of interest concerning how, or if, MySQL should be developed further, Widenius wrote. His company, Monty Program AB, is developing MariaDB, a branch of MySQL.
The key objective is to find a home outside Oracle for MySQL where the database can be developed and compete with existing products, including Oracle's, said Florian Mueller, a former MySQL shareholder who is working with Monty Program AB on this matter.
However, Oracle still seems intent on keeping MySQL. The company plans to increase its investment in the open source MySQL database, Oracle CEO Larry Ellison said at last week's OpenWorld 2009 conference.
If Ellison changed his mind and decided to sell MySQL, open source companies like Red Hat and Novell would be on top of the list of potential buyers, said Bo Lykkegaard, software analyst at IDC.
Widenius didn't elaborate on whom he considers a suitable third party or if he would be among them.
A prospective buyer should have both technical competence and large resources, and no conflicts of interest, Mueller said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts