MySQL cofounder says Oracle should sell database
IDG News Service - Oracle Corp. should resolve antitrust concerns over its acquisition of Sun Microsystems Inc. by selling open-source database MySQL to a suitable third party, its cofounder and creator Michael "Monty" Widenius said in a blog post today.
Oracle's $7.4 billion acquisition of Sun is being held up by an investigation by the European Commission. The commission's main concern seems to be MySQL, which was acquired by Sun in January 2008 for $1 billion. A takeover by the world's leading proprietary database company of the world's leading open-source database company compels the regulator to closely examine the effects on the European market, according to remarks made by Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes last month.
The European Union's antitrust regulator is right to be concerned about Oracle taking over MySQL, according to Widenius, who left Sun in February. MySQL needs a different home than Oracle where there will be no conflicts of interest concerning how, or if, MySQL should be developed further, Widenius wrote. His company, Monty Program AB, is developing MariaDB, a branch of MySQL.
The key objective is to find a home outside Oracle for MySQL where the database can be developed and compete with existing products, including Oracle's, said Florian Mueller, a former MySQL shareholder who is working with Monty Program AB on this matter.
However, Oracle still seems intent on keeping MySQL. The company plans to increase its investment in the open source MySQL database, Oracle CEO Larry Ellison said at last week's OpenWorld 2009 conference.
If Ellison changed his mind and decided to sell MySQL, open source companies like Red Hat and Novell would be on top of the list of potential buyers, said Bo Lykkegaard, software analyst at IDC.
Widenius didn't elaborate on whom he considers a suitable third party or if he would be among them.
A prospective buyer should have both technical competence and large resources, and no conflicts of interest, Mueller said.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Riverbed Optimization System: Technical Overview View now>>
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts