Mac clone maker 'happily' agrees to OS X injunction
For its part, Psystar said it would agree to an injunction preventing it from using Mac OS X 10.5, aka Leopard. "Psystar will happily submit to an appropriately tailored injunction ... limited to Psystar's allegedly illegal activities involving OS X Leopard, since it is only OS X Leopard that this case concerns. Since neither Psystar nor Apple sells OS X Leopard any longer, it is no great burden for Psystar to agree to such an injunction," its lawyers said in the competing Psystar motion.
Last month, Psystar won a minor victory when Alsup denied Apple's motion to stop a separate lawsuit filed by Psystar in a Florida federal court two months ago that accused Apple of tying Snow Leopard to Mac hardware. Then, Alsup chastised Apple for timing Snow Leopard's release to take place after an important deadline had passed in the case he oversees.
Major sections of both motions were redacted at Apple's request, primarily those parts that discussed the technology Apple uses to block Mac OS X from running on non-Apple hardware, and Psystar's resulting work-arounds. Subsequent to the motions filed last week, Apple has demanded that the redacted sections remain private, while Psystar has argued that they should be made public.
Last week, Psystar upped the ante on that front when it announced it would license its technology to other clone makers so they could also build Mac knock-offs.
Alsup has slated a Nov. 12 hearing to take oral arguments from both Apple and Psystar on their motions for summary judgment.
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!