New HP TouchSmart PCs get touch-enabled Hulu, Netflix and Twitter
New all-in-ones, tablet get TouchSmart 3.0, which provides 20 touch-enabled apps
Computerworld - Reinforcing its lead in the nascent touchscreen PC market, Hewlett-Packard Co. announced three new touch-enabled Windows 7 PCs on Tuesday, including two all-in-one desktops that let users control Web videos from Hulu and Netflix by tapping on the screen.
The TouchSmart 300, with 20-inch LCD screen, and TouchSmart 600, 23-inch screen, also come with small Windows 7 applications that let owners navigate Web services such as Twitter and two streaming music providers, HP Music Store by Rhapsody from RealNetworks Inc. and Pandora Internet radio.
All of the applications, except for Pandora's touch app, are exclusive to HP's TouchSmart 3.0 software suite.
The TouchSmart 300 will start at $899, and the 600 will start at $1,049. They will be available on Nov. 1 and Oct. 22, respectively. The official release of Windows 7 is slated for Oct. 22.
The TouchSmart 600 can be connected to an Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or Wii game console via its HDMI or composite video inputs so that users can play games on its 23-inch screen.
HP also launched the TouchSmart 9100, a 23-inch touch-enabled all-in-one PC for business use. Aimed at hotels, stores, hospitals and schools, the 9100 starts at $1,299 and is expected to be available in December.
Similar to the TouchSmart 600 on specs, the 9100 also includes Firewire ports for connecting digital video cameras, and the ability to lock down USB ports for more security.
The 9100 replaces the dx9000, which was launched at CES earlier this year.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All PCs White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!