Sidekick users livid over Microsoft server failure
Thousands rant on T-Mobile support forum, call for class-action lawsuit
Computerworld - Sidekick users have blasted Microsoft in thousands of messages on T-Mobile USA's support forum over the server failure that lost their smartphones' data.
Some users said that they would ditch their phones, while others called for a class-action lawsuit.
On Saturday, Microsoft announced that users' data stored on its servers "almost certainly has been lost as a result of a server failure at Microsoft/Danger," referring to Danger Inc., the Microsoft subsidiary that provides data services for Sidekick phones sold by T-Mobile.
That didn't mollify most users posting messages on T-Mobile's support forum.
"I want to be reimbursed for my data or a free upgrade, but if they don't say anything, new iPhone here I come," said a user identified as "kangchaehee" on Sunday.
"Say goodbye to the Sidekick," added another user, "ttc7152" on the same thread, which boasted more than 3,600 messages as of mid-day today. "And Microsoft can write off any plans to even think of competing with iPhone/Android. Losing data on this scale is unprecedented -- and totally inexcusable."
Others wanted users to initiate a class-action lawsuit against T-Mobile or Microsoft, or both.
"I just spoke to a lawyer and explain[ed] the entire situation," said a user tagged as "Calsmail" last Thursday. "He informed me he would be happy to start a class-action suit against T-Mobile. He said he could not only get us out of our contracts but can more than likely get $50 per contact lost."
In a joint message from T-Mobile and Microsoft posted on the former's support forum Saturday, the two companies said that although engineers were working on the problem, "the likelihood of a successful outcome is extremely low."
The message also warned users not to reset their Sidekicks by removing the battery or letting the battery drain completely, or "any personal content that currently resides on your device will be lost."
T-Mobile and Microsoft promised to update users later today on the progress, if any, that's been made in recovering the lost data.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts