IDG News Service - Compuware said Wednesday it has agreed to acquire Web application management vendor Gomez for US$295 million. The transaction is expected to close in November.
Gomez's technology will work in concert with Compuware's portfolio of tools for managing the performance of on-premises applications, providing coverage "from the data center to the customer," the companies said in a statement.
Such capabilities are crucial in today's IT environments, Compuware President Bob Paul said during a conference call Wednesday.
For example, a retail banking transaction may begin with customers using an iPhone to connect with an online banking Web site, and end up spanning multiple third-party services, back-end databases, ISPs and mobile carriers, Paul said. "The complexity is staggering."
The acquisition will bolster Compuware's ability to compete with the likes of Hewlett-Packard, CA and BMC in application performance management. Those competitors offer only "narrow, keyhole views" into various areas, Paul claimed.
Compuware will also gain fresh footholds in many of the world's largest Web properties. Gomez has about 2,500 customers, including Google, Facebook, Yahoo and Amazon.com, according to its Web site.
The acquisition announcement follows steps Gomez had taken to prepare for an IPO.
The privately held vendor has 272 employees and is based in Lexington, Massachusetts. Compuware is not planning any significant personnel changes, according to a statement.
Gomez's current product road map will also "essentially remain unchanged," and the Gomez brand will be retained, although plans to integrate the vendors' offerings are afoot, Compuware said.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the... All Management White Papers | Webcasts