IDG News Service - Compuware said Wednesday it has agreed to acquire Web application management vendor Gomez for US$295 million. The transaction is expected to close in November.
Gomez's technology will work in concert with Compuware's portfolio of tools for managing the performance of on-premises applications, providing coverage "from the data center to the customer," the companies said in a statement.
Such capabilities are crucial in today's IT environments, Compuware President Bob Paul said during a conference call Wednesday.
For example, a retail banking transaction may begin with customers using an iPhone to connect with an online banking Web site, and end up spanning multiple third-party services, back-end databases, ISPs and mobile carriers, Paul said. "The complexity is staggering."
The acquisition will bolster Compuware's ability to compete with the likes of Hewlett-Packard, CA and BMC in application performance management. Those competitors offer only "narrow, keyhole views" into various areas, Paul claimed.
Compuware will also gain fresh footholds in many of the world's largest Web properties. Gomez has about 2,500 customers, including Google, Facebook, Yahoo and Amazon.com, according to its Web site.
The acquisition announcement follows steps Gomez had taken to prepare for an IPO.
The privately held vendor has 272 employees and is based in Lexington, Massachusetts. Compuware is not planning any significant personnel changes, according to a statement.
Gomez's current product road map will also "essentially remain unchanged," and the Gomez brand will be retained, although plans to integrate the vendors' offerings are afoot, Compuware said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts