IDG News Service - Compuware said Wednesday it has agreed to acquire Web application management vendor Gomez for US$295 million. The transaction is expected to close in November.
Gomez's technology will work in concert with Compuware's portfolio of tools for managing the performance of on-premises applications, providing coverage "from the data center to the customer," the companies said in a statement.
Such capabilities are crucial in today's IT environments, Compuware President Bob Paul said during a conference call Wednesday.
For example, a retail banking transaction may begin with customers using an iPhone to connect with an online banking Web site, and end up spanning multiple third-party services, back-end databases, ISPs and mobile carriers, Paul said. "The complexity is staggering."
The acquisition will bolster Compuware's ability to compete with the likes of Hewlett-Packard, CA and BMC in application performance management. Those competitors offer only "narrow, keyhole views" into various areas, Paul claimed.
Compuware will also gain fresh footholds in many of the world's largest Web properties. Gomez has about 2,500 customers, including Google, Facebook, Yahoo and Amazon.com, according to its Web site.
The acquisition announcement follows steps Gomez had taken to prepare for an IPO.
The privately held vendor has 272 employees and is based in Lexington, Massachusetts. Compuware is not planning any significant personnel changes, according to a statement.
Gomez's current product road map will also "essentially remain unchanged," and the Gomez brand will be retained, although plans to integrate the vendors' offerings are afoot, Compuware said.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts