Google's Gmail suffers another disruption
Frustrated users take to Twitter to rant and look for information about downed service
Computerworld - Just two days after Google News crashed, Google Inc.'s e-mail service, Gmail, suffered a disruption.
Starting sometime before 11 a.m. EDT today, Gmail stumbled and became unavailable to some users. As of 11:45 a.m., the problem persisted.
Google said in a note in its Google Apps Help Center shortly after 11 a.m. that it was aware of the problem and working to fix it. At 11:29 a.m., the company posted an update that said the hosted e-mail application had been restored for some users and that a full resolution was expected by 12:30.
Frustrated Gmail users quickly took to Twitter to voice their frustrations and look for information. One user wrote, "Gmail More and More Like Late '90s Era Hotmail ... So much for those Gmail reliability." Others wrote, "OMG is gmail still down?!!" and "GMail CEO pls take note. I wanna sleep. Make sure when I wake up, GMail back to normal. Else I'll use Hotmail."
The Gmail problem comes on the heels of an hour-and-a-half Google News glitch Tuesday. Google did not say what caused the crash or how engineers got the news aggregation site working again.
Earlier this month, Gmail experienced a day of intermittent disruptions, followed by a second day during which users experienced multiple delays and outages with the e-mail service. Users of Gmail and other Google applications also endured well-publicized service crashes in both February and May.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts