Google's Gmail suffers another disruption
Frustrated users take to Twitter to rant and look for information about downed service
Computerworld - Just two days after Google News crashed, Google Inc.'s e-mail service, Gmail, suffered a disruption.
Starting sometime before 11 a.m. EDT today, Gmail stumbled and became unavailable to some users. As of 11:45 a.m., the problem persisted.
Google said in a note in its Google Apps Help Center shortly after 11 a.m. that it was aware of the problem and working to fix it. At 11:29 a.m., the company posted an update that said the hosted e-mail application had been restored for some users and that a full resolution was expected by 12:30.
Frustrated Gmail users quickly took to Twitter to voice their frustrations and look for information. One user wrote, "Gmail More and More Like Late '90s Era Hotmail ... So much for those Gmail reliability." Others wrote, "OMG is gmail still down?!!" and "GMail CEO pls take note. I wanna sleep. Make sure when I wake up, GMail back to normal. Else I'll use Hotmail."
The Gmail problem comes on the heels of an hour-and-a-half Google News glitch Tuesday. Google did not say what caused the crash or how engineers got the news aggregation site working again.
Earlier this month, Gmail experienced a day of intermittent disruptions, followed by a second day during which users experienced multiple delays and outages with the e-mail service. Users of Gmail and other Google applications also endured well-publicized service crashes in both February and May.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!