Seagate claims first 6Gbit/sec, 2TB SATA hard drive
New SATA 3.0 Barracuda drive said to double bandwidth of previous Seagate drives
Computerworld - Seagate Technology LLC today started shipping a 6Gbit/sec. Serial ATA hard disk drive that offers double the throughput of Seagate's previous high-end SATA drive.
The new 2TB Barracuda XT is the first drive that meets the Serial ATA International Organization's SATA 3.0 specifications, Seagate said.
The Barracuda XT (model ST32000641AS) is a 3.5-in, 7,200-rpm desktop drive with 64MB of cache. It carries a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $299.
Initially, Seagate sees only a niche market for the drive, but it said that by 2011, it expects that SATA 3.0 motherboards will be ubiquitous and that applications will require 6Gbit/sec. bandwidth.
"In a sense, it's good Seagate's in the lead to bring this to market, but adoption is really going depend on the availability of 6Gbit/sec. SATA on the host side," said John Rydning, an analyst at IDC in Framingham, Mass.
Initially, Seagate said it expects the Barracuda XT to be used in high-performance PCs, workstations and low-cost servers with one to four drives. It will likely also be used early on in external storage systems.
The initial target audience is multimedia developers and high-performance gamers, Seagate said.
Seagate plans to demonstrate the drive at the Intel Developers Forum this week in San Francisco.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- Accelerating Oracle with Preferred Reads Storage based configuration. View Now>>
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts