Analyst sees 50% return rate for BlackBerry Tour
IDG News Service -
Problems with the trackball on BlackBerry Tour phones have led to return rates near 50%, an analyst at TownHall Investment Research said.
Users are complaining about the issue in a number of online support forums. They say that they must roll the trackball repeatedly for it to move the cursor on the screen only minimally.
One user said he was on his fourth Tour, after returning the previous three due to problems with the trackball.
Another has posted instructions for how to take apart the phone to try to fix the problem.
Nearly 50% of Tours that Sprint sells are being returned, analyst David Eller at TownHall Investment Research wrote in the report. While the trackball problem is the primary reason for the returns, some customers are complaining about the sensitivity of the touch screen, he said.
Sprint did not confirm the return rate. "We experienced a small percentage of early production BlackBerry Tour smartphones with trackball issues," Mark J. Elliott, a Sprint spokesman, said via e-mail. "As soon as the issue was identified, we worked closely with our partners at RIM to resolve the problem quickly."
High return rates of the Tour for Verizon are an even bigger problem because that operator relies on BlackBerry for the bulk of its smartphones, Eller wrote. But new phones from Motorola and Palm might change the mix at Verizon. "Verizon is angry about this recurring trackball problem and is telling its retailers to expect strong support for the new Motorola phone," Eller wrote.
Around Aug. 10, people began reporting in the forums that Research In Motion and Verizon said a firmware fix would be issued in 30 days and would resolve the problem.
Eller expects the issue to put "additional pressure" on RIM's financial results because the high return rates will hurt margins. "These issues amplify our concerns about RIM's ability to sustain margins while entering the consumer market," he wrote.
Research In Motion did not reply to a request for comment in time for publication. Verizon has not replied to a request for comment.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts