Google releases SDK for latest Android version
IDG News Service - Developers can now start working with the software development kit (SDK) for version 1.6 of Google's mobile operating system Android, the company said in a blog post.
Android 1.6, known as Donut, adds support for CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) and more screen resolutions plus other features. The first devices running Donut are expected in October, Google wrote on Tuesday.
The support for CDMA makes the potential market for Android-based phones much bigger, especially in the U.S. Operators like Verizon can now add Android phones to their portfolio, according to Carolina Milanesi, research director at Gartner. Motorola is supposed to have a phone in the pipeline, she said.
One of the screen resolutions that Android version 1.6 will support is WVGA, or up to 850 by 480 pixels. That will allow for larger screens, which, for example, the user interface on the Motorola Cliq would have benefited from, Milanesi said. The default resolution for Android phones is 320 by 480.
"It's good that Google has opened up for several kinds of phones, with different screen sizes and radio access," said Swedish Android developer Staffan Kjellberg. "The larger the market gets, the better."
Other additions in version 1.6 are a new battery usage screen and a redesigned search framework.
The battery usage screen lets users see which applications and services are consuming battery power and then take action to save the battery by adjusting the settings, stopping or uninstalling the application. The search framework lets users search across multiple sources, such as browser bookmarks and history, contacts and the Web directly from the home screen, according to Google.
New platform technologies include a text-to-speech engine that can speak English, French, Italian, German and Spanish. Also included is support for gestures, which will be a boost for game developers, Milanesi said.
Of all the new features, Kjellberg likes the addition of screenshots and reviews to the Android applications marketplace the most. Previously, applications were only described with text.
Android has started to gain some momentum recently. LG and Motorola now have Android smartphones along with Samsung and HTC, which so far has been the Google OS's biggest supporter.
Last year 195,000 Android phones were sold, and this year that number will increase to 3.4 million, according to Gartner.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All App Development White Papers | Webcasts