Facebook passes major user, financial milestones
Social network gains 300 millionth user, claims it's 'cash flow positive' ahead of plan
Computerworld - It's been a good day for Facebook.
The social networking giant announced late this afternoon that it had grabbed its 300 millionth user and claimed that it has become "cash flow positive" months ahead of expectations.
In a blog post, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said the company had expected to become cash flow positive -- reaching a point where noninvestment revenues cover the cash it spends on capital expenditures -- sometime in 2010.
"This is important to us because it sets Facebook up to be a strong independent service for the long term," wrote Zuckerberg. "Over time, Facebook will continue to be as strong as all of the connections you make."
A Facebook spokeswoman wouldn't say when the company expects to reach profitability. In May, investment firm Digital Sky Technologies paid $200 million for a 1.96% equity stake in Facebook.
"As of today, Facebook now serves 300 million people across the world," wrote Zuckerberg. "It's a large number, but the way we think about this is that we're just getting started on our goal of connecting everyone. We thank all of you for helping us reach the point where we are connecting 300 million people."
Juan Carlos Perez of the IDG News Service contributed to this story.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts