Facebook passes major user, financial milestones
Social network gains 300 millionth user, claims it's 'cash flow positive' ahead of plan
Computerworld - It's been a good day for Facebook.
The social networking giant announced late this afternoon that it had grabbed its 300 millionth user and claimed that it has become "cash flow positive" months ahead of expectations.
In a blog post, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said the company had expected to become cash flow positive -- reaching a point where noninvestment revenues cover the cash it spends on capital expenditures -- sometime in 2010.
"This is important to us because it sets Facebook up to be a strong independent service for the long term," wrote Zuckerberg. "Over time, Facebook will continue to be as strong as all of the connections you make."
A Facebook spokeswoman wouldn't say when the company expects to reach profitability. In May, investment firm Digital Sky Technologies paid $200 million for a 1.96% equity stake in Facebook.
"As of today, Facebook now serves 300 million people across the world," wrote Zuckerberg. "It's a large number, but the way we think about this is that we're just getting started on our goal of connecting everyone. We thank all of you for helping us reach the point where we are connecting 300 million people."
Juan Carlos Perez of the IDG News Service contributed to this story.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Web Apps White Papers |