Facebook passes major user, financial milestones
Social network gains 300 millionth user, claims it's 'cash flow positive' ahead of plan
Computerworld - It's been a good day for Facebook.
The social networking giant announced late this afternoon that it had grabbed its 300 millionth user and claimed that it has become "cash flow positive" months ahead of expectations.
In a blog post, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said the company had expected to become cash flow positive -- reaching a point where noninvestment revenues cover the cash it spends on capital expenditures -- sometime in 2010.
"This is important to us because it sets Facebook up to be a strong independent service for the long term," wrote Zuckerberg. "Over time, Facebook will continue to be as strong as all of the connections you make."
A Facebook spokeswoman wouldn't say when the company expects to reach profitability. In May, investment firm Digital Sky Technologies paid $200 million for a 1.96% equity stake in Facebook.
"As of today, Facebook now serves 300 million people across the world," wrote Zuckerberg. "It's a large number, but the way we think about this is that we're just getting started on our goal of connecting everyone. We thank all of you for helping us reach the point where we are connecting 300 million people."
Juan Carlos Perez of the IDG News Service contributed to this story.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts