Google to deliver 'government cloud' to feds in 2010
The company is in talks now with several agencies
IDG News Service - MOFFETT FIELD, Calif. -- Google will offer cloud-computing services designed specifically for U.S. government agencies starting next year, the company announced Tuesday at the NASA Ames Research Center.
The services will give government agencies a way to purchase services such as Google Apps, by ensuring that they meet regulatory requirements, said Matthew Glotzbach, director of product management with Google enterprise.
Google is now in talks with several government agencies about the services but has yet to sign up a customer, Glotzbach said, speaking with reporters at a federal government cloud-computing event. The services will be hosted in Google's existing data centers, but on systems that are compliant with government regulations.
For example, the government cloud service will ensure that data remains in the U.S. and will be operated by technicians with appropriate government security clearances, he said.
Google has been working on achieving the U.S. government's Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) certification, required of government IT contractors. The company will submit all the required documentation for this certification by year's end and hopes to be able to offer FISMA-certified Google Apps next year, Glotzbach said.
The federal government is slowly adopting cloud computing services as a way to cut costs and make their systems run more efficiently. Vendors such as Google and virtualization provider VMware see this as a major new opportunity.
"The U.S. government is probably the largest enterprise I know of," said Google co-founder Sergey Brin.
Federal Chief Information Officer Vivek Kundra also unveiled the government's new online storefront, called Apps.gov, at the event. The site is the first stage in the government's move toward cloud computing, he said.
- Chrome users attack Google for zapping unsanctioned Windows add-ons
- Google postpones add-on 'kill switch' for Chrome on Windows
- Google yanks option to restore Chrome's old-style new tab page, riles users all over again
- Google's 3D tech could be boon to Glass, robots and virtual reality
- Google bots are coming!
- Antitrust deal leaves Google unscathed
- Google agrees to give equal prominence to rivals' services to settle EU antitrust case
- Lenovo-Moto deal's impact on Apple? Zip
- With Motorola sold, Google can focus on robots, Glass and smart homes
- Google is developing a smart contact lens
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts