U.S. Bank picks IBM's Lotus platform over Microsoft's SharePoint
Bank rolling out Lotus Quickr, Connections
Computerworld - Minneapolis-based U.S. Bank has chosen to standardize on IBM Corp.'s Lotus collaboration software, IBM said Tuesday, displacing Microsoft Corp.'s rival SharePoint-based platform.
U.S. Bank plans to roll out the Lotus Quickr and Lotus Connections social Web platform for corporations. Quickr and Connections provide a file-sharing repository allowing employees to create profiles, wikis and blogs.
U.S. Bank is also standardizing on the latest Lotus Notes 8.5 client for all 58,000 employees, as well as the Lotus Sametime messaging app, Bob Picciano, general manager of IBM Lotus Software, told Computerworld. "The focus is for them to get everything migrated by 2010," he said.
U.S. Bank is also looking into IBM's LotusLive cloud collaboration software, said Picciano, and is even considering switching off Microsoft Office to IBM's Lotus Symphony productivity suite. "Discussion for that continues to be under way," he said.
While Quickr and Connections will be new deployments, Notes and Sametime are technically upgrades. U.S. Bank was already using versions 6.5 of IBM Lotus Notes and Domino for most of its employees.
But U.S. Bank was also running 5,000 SharePoint sites -- some department level, some much larger, according to Picciano -- throughout the bank, which was created out of a number of mergers about 10 years ago.
According to Picciano, IBM and Microsoft both bid to provide collaboration and messaging for U.S. Bank, which is ranked the sixth-largest American bank with $266 billion in assets.
Despite IBM's apparent incumbent's edge, Picciano said the battle between the two vendors was "largely competitive."
"I wouldn't be arrogant enough to call U.S. Bank an IBM shop," he said. IBM's win, he said, was the result of superior technology, not heavy discounting. "This wasn't a 'our bundle will beat up your bundle' situation," he said. "Our software was a better choice and fit."
Picciano declined to disclose financial terms. "It's a very big deal," he said.
Microsoft did not dispute IBM's characterization of its deal with U.S. Bank, but it maintains that it is an exception that proves the rule."Last year, more than 4.7 million people began the switch to Exchange and SharePoint from Notes," Julia White, director of Exchange product management, said in an e-mail. "We count our switchers in millions, while Notes counts their switchers in tens of thousands." "We expect this trend to accelerate with Exchange 2010 and SharePoint 2010," White said.
Citing large customers such as HSBC, Colgate-Palmolive, Teach for America and others that are deploying the latest Web 2.0 components of the Lotus platform, Picciano says IBM is making a successful counterattack.
"We are displacing Exchange, displacing Outlook," Picciano said. "Despite what the people up in Redmond might say, we are taking share."
Read more about Financial IT in Computerworld's Financial IT Topic Center.
The financial institution where this pilot fish works is moving to a new disaster recovery site, and that means arranging the transfer of several financial-market data servers -- which could take months.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month
- IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance
- Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD
- If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics
- "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy... All Financial IT White Papers
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- All Financial IT Webcasts