Sony eyes consumer 3D cameras as way to drive new format
IDG News Service - Recognizing that a shortage of content could doom its 3D push from the start, Sony is likely to launch cameras that give consumers the ability to shoot in the format.
The cameras will form part of a drive by Sony to make 3D the next big thing in entertainment. On Wednesday Sony committed to launching at least one Bravia TV and one Vaio laptop computer with 3D capabilities in 2010 and also said it would offer a Blu-ray Disc player, as long as Blu-ray Disc Association settles on a 3D format.
But such products will be useless unless there is 3D content to watch.
Sony can provide some itself through its Sony Pictures movie division and group TV stations, but simply providing professional content ignores the significant role that consumer-generated content now plays in the entertainment world through sites such as YouTube.
Should consumers get the chance to make 3D video clips the market could expand much faster, said Fujio Nishida, president of Sony Europe, speaking on Thursday on the sidelines of IFA. So Sony will offer cameras and camcorders for the format, he said.
However, much development work remains to be done before consumer 3D cameras and camcorders can become commonplace. While Sony has decided on some time in 2010 for its initial 3D product launch, it has yet to decide on when the cameras will go on sale.
Several other companies have already shown prototype 3D cameras. The most prominent of these is perhaps Japan's FujiFilm, which showed its first prototype last year and is planning to launch a commercial model later this year. The camera has two lenses and two image sensors that take almost-identical images, which it blends together to produce a 3D image.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts