EMC to acquire e-discovery vendor Kazeon
The deal is valued at an estimated $75 million
IDG News Service - EMC Corp. today announced it has signed an agreement to acquire privately held Kazeon Systems Inc., a provider of electronic discovery software. The deal is estimated to be valued at around $75 million.
"Becoming part of EMC is the right strategic move for us -- giving us the resources of a world-class leader in information management to effectively take our market vision to the next level. We are excited about this acquisition," Sudhakar Muddu, founder and CEO of Kazeon, said in a statement.
The deal is expected to close in the third quarter.
The Kazeon acquisition gives EMC an end-to-end, in-house e-discovery and litigation readiness application, which will be included as part of the EMC SourceOne products for integrated but modular eDiscovery, archiving and compliance tools.
"With the addition of Kazeon to the EMC SourceOne family, we will be able to offer our customers tremendous functionality, saving them money, reducing risk, avoiding unnecessary legal fines and enabling them to deploy a true information governance and eDiscovery strategy," Andrew Cohen, general manager of EMC's eDiscovery Business, said in a statement.
Kazeon, which sells its eDiscovery tool as an appliance, allows corporations to collect, process and review information in accordance with the widely accepted EDRM (Electronic Discovery Reference Model) framework for regulatory compliance and civil litigation purposes.
"Core to Kazeon is its ability to handle electronically stored information (ESI) that resides anywhere in the enterprise environment, including content on laptops, desktops, content management repositories (including, EMC Documentum records management software), Microsoft SharePoint and Exchange, Lotus Domino, e-mail archives and file shares," EMC said.
In addition, Kazeon's legal hold management capability allows organizations to gather data and meta data for a civil case or regulatory inquiry and ensure it won't be deleted by mistake.
"As legal, regulatory, and governance requirements continue to become more stringent and expensive, it is now mandatory for customers to have a solid in-house strategy for information governance and eDiscovery," Cohen said. "It no longer makes sense to collect an over-sized set of content by reactively gathering physical media, such as hard drives and backup tapes."
Upon completion of the acquisition, Kazeon will become a part of EMC's Content Management and Archiving Division.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Gartner Report: A Guide to Gartner's Enterprise Mobile Security Self-Assessment Gartner introduces a model and a Toolkit intended to help mobility and security IT leaders assess their enterprise mobility programs from a security...
- Gartner Report: Containing Mobile Security Risks With the 80/20 Rule IT planners can deliver better mobile protection with higher user satisfaction by segmenting users into risk groups before committing to specific management or...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts