Update: Google's Gmail hit with outage -- again
Frustrated Gmail users race to Twitter to vent and look for information
Computerworld - Many of the tens of millions of people who use Google Inc.'s Gmail service have been without e-mail a for an as-yet undetermined period yesterday and today.
Google acknowledged on its Apps Status page that its popular Gmail service has been down. It's not clear how long the service has been out. In a 4:02 p.m. EDT post on the site, Google noted that the e-mail service had been restored for "some users." Engineers expect everyone's service to be back up in 1.2 hours, the post said.
According to the status page, the problem began yesterday when service disruptions were reported. It's not yet clear what is causing the problem.
Google did not respond to requests for information about the outage, though it's Web site said it would report on the outage after 5 p.m. today.
The Twitter social network erupted with frustrated tweets from users unable to access their Gmail accounts.
Tweets ranged from: "Gmail, where did you go? I cannot live with this 502 error", to "It's bad when a company like Google can't keep Gmail up and running" and "Dear gmail. Was it something I said? I only use my yahoo acct for shopping. It means nothing to me. Please come back. XXOO."
Google has suffered several big glitches in the past several months.
This past May, Google suffered a major failure when Google Search and Google News performance slowed to a crawl, and an outage seemed to spread from Gmail to Google Maps and Google Reader.
And last February, Google's Gmail was hit with a highly publicized two-and-a-half-hour outage.
That glitch came just a week after Google acknowledged that some users had experienced problems getting results from Google News searches over a span of more than 14 hours.
The scope of today's outage isn't immediately clear but it appears to be international.
- Chrome users attack Google for zapping unsanctioned Windows add-ons
- Google postpones add-on 'kill switch' for Chrome on Windows
- Google yanks option to restore Chrome's old-style new tab page, riles users all over again
- Google's 3D tech could be boon to Glass, robots and virtual reality
- Google bots are coming!
- Antitrust deal leaves Google unscathed
- Google agrees to give equal prominence to rivals' services to settle EU antitrust case
- Lenovo-Moto deal's impact on Apple? Zip
- With Motorola sold, Google can focus on robots, Glass and smart homes
- Google is developing a smart contact lens
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts