Analyst: iPhone to go to multiple U.S. carriers in 2010
Macworld - Gene Munster, senior research analyst with Piper Jaffrey, predicts that the iPhone will be available through multiple cell carriers in the United States beginning in 2010.
Munster says that multiple carriers will be a boon to Apple. He points to France as an example. In that country, the iPhone is available through several carriers--the result is 40% market share, a higher percentage than Apple enjoys in the United States, where the iPhone is limited only to AT&T's network. Apple historically refreshes the iPhone in the summer months, so Munster's prediction would be consistent with Apple's product cycle.
One limiting factor of the iPhone's distribution by multiple carriers in the U.S. may be the technology the iPhone uses to communicate with cellular networks. Right now, AT&T operates the largest network in the United States that's compatible with the iPhone. AT&T's biggest rival, Verizon Wireless, uses an incompatible wireless networking technology.
Verizon has announced plans to transition to a faster "4G" system called LTE beginning in 2010, however. Apple could either re-engineer the iPhone to work with Verizon's existing network or make a model designed to support LTE. Verizon Wireless' transition to LTE will happen in stages, however, and may take several years before it enjoys the same nationwide coverage Verizon Wireless has with its current network.
(Hat tip: The Loop)
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts