IDG News Service - Global Gaming Factory X AB shareholders voted to acquire file-sharing site The Pirate Bay at a meeting in Stockholm on Thursday.
The outcome of the vote wasn't a surprise, because GGF CEO Hans Pandeya and his family control a majority of the shares.
But several questions need to be answered before the new version of The Pirate Bay promised by Pandeya -- one that will compensate copyright owners -- comes online.
The big issue is whether GGF will be able to put up the 60 million Swedish kronor ($8.2 million U.S.) the company has agreed to pay for The Pirate Bay. Trading in GGF shares has been suspended since Aug. 21 because AktieTorget, the stock exchange where GGF is listed, had not received sufficient information about the funding of The Pirate Bay acquisition. This issue still persists.
After a meeting with the company on Wednesday, AktieTorget reached the conclusion that GGF lacks the ability to inform its stockholders in a correct, relevant and credible way, it said on Thursday. A company that lacks that ability cannot be allowed to be traded, it concluded.
AktieTorget's disciplinary committee will take a closer look at GGF and advise the stock exchange on whether the company should continue to be listed. Trading will not resume until the board has made a decision based on the disciplinary committee's advice.
However, according to Pandeya, the funding to secure the deal is in place, even though a number of investors have left the venture because of recent turbulence in the media.
There is also the question of what will happen to GGF's planned acquisition of software technology company Peerialism AB, whose peer-to-peer technology GGF plans to use in the new Pirate Bay's infrastructure. On Wednesday Peerialism's CEO, Johan Ljungberg, said he had not heard from GGF in three or four weeks and wasn't very hopeful.
Copyright owners are also taking a wait-and-see approach to GGF's plan for a legal version of The Pirate Bay.
"I'll believe it when I see it," said Cato Strøm, CEO at Tono, an organization that represents composers, lyricists and music publishers in Norway. Tono is fronting a lawsuit to get Norwegian ISP Telenor to block access to The Pirate Bay.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security
- This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- SANS: Protecting Virtual Endpoints with McAfee Server Security Suite Essentials
- SANS review of McAfees Server Security Suite Essentials that address some of the emerging challenges of securing virtual platforms and cloud environments.
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center
- Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- Aberdeen: Securing the Evolving Datacenter
- This report highlights ways security technologies and services are evolving to provide the visibility and control needed to deploy workloads flexibly in the... All Government IT White Papers
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- All Government IT Webcasts