Gartner raises global chip revenue forecast for 2009
IDG News Service - Gartner Inc. raised its revenue forecast for the global chip industry today, saying stronger than expected demand for PCs, LCD TVs, mobile phones and other devices in the second quarter boosted demand for chips.
The market researcher expects global chip revenue to reach $212 billion this year, down 17.1% from $255 billion last year. The new figure represents a smaller decline than the 22.4% drop previously forecast.
"The semiconductor market has performed better than expected, as was evident when second quarter semiconductor revenue increased 17 percent in sequential sales," Gartner analyst Bryan Lewis wrote in a statement. Aside from stronger consumer demand in several product segments, he said China's stimulus package "worked remarkably well to boost short-term demand. Governments worldwide took action quickly and extensively to avoid a meltdown, and it worked."
Chip demand next year remains questionable, Gartner said. The forecaster expects chip revenue to rise 10.3% to $233 billion next year, but noted concerns that consumer demand for electronics gear may fall faster than normal near the end of this year and in the first quarter next year because people have already bought a lot of new devices and may put off new purchases for a while.
Gartner said worldwide chip revenue may decline 5% in the first quarter of 2010.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts