Pirate Bay ISP victim of sabotage after shutdown
IDG News Service - Black Internet, the ISP that on Monday turned off the access to file-sharing site The Pirate Bay, says it has become the victim of sabotage. The damage is substantial, according to CEO Victor Möller.
Customers that get their Internet access from Black Internet were experiencing outages on Tuesday morning. The reason was sabotage against its infrastructure, according to the ISP.
On Friday, a verdict in the Stockholm district court prompted Black Internet to shut down access to The Pirate Bay. The verdict reached Black Internet on Monday, and it decided to immediately comply. Only a few hours later it became the victim of sabotage, it said.
The sabotage has been intentional, according to Möller.
"Our network isn't working as it should. We are working with the police and technicians to find out what has happened," said Möller.
He doesn't want to elaborate on details of the sabotage or from where it might have originated.
All of Black Internet's customers were affected by the disruption. Part of the network was up and running on Tuesday morning, and more parts were being turned on continually. Several of Black Internet's customers resell access, so it's difficult to gauge how many people have been affected.
"It's a giant pyramid and we are dealing with substantial damages and large sums," said Möller.
Per Wedin, CEO at One Call Support, one of the victims of the sabotage, had received information about the sabotage when Computer Sweden reached him on Tuesday, but the connection wasn't up yet. If it doesn't get resolved shortly the company will have to look for another supplier, he said. "We are talking about millions of Swedish kronor," he said.
The Pirate Bay site was up again on Monday with the help of a new ISP, according to Peter Sunde, the former spokesman for The Pirate Bay and one of the main men behind the site, so the outage resulting from Black Internet's disconnection only lasted for a few hours.
The reason that many users still aren't able to access The Pirate Bay is "because your ISP has a sucky DNS. Use OpenDNS instead", Sunde said in a Twitter message on Monday. "Also, TPB has issues for some people because of old routes. It will fix itself," he later added.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
If you use ‘password,’ one the worst passwords, as your password, fail to keep antivirus protection updated and don’t bother to deploy security patches to close critical vulnerabilities, then maybe you should consider working for the cybersecurity-clueless federal government; you’d fit right in, according to Senator Tom Coburn's cybersecurity and critical infrastructure report.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results
- Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data
- HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data... All Government IT White Papers
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- All Government IT Webcasts