Pirate Bay down after ISP cuts its connection
Its ISP faced a $70,000 fine if file-sharing site was allowed to continue
IDG News Service - File-sharing site The Pirate Bay went down today after its Internet service provider, Black Internet, cut its connection to avoid being fined by the Stockholm district court.
A 500,000 Swedish kronor (US$70,000) fine would be the result if Black Internet did not comply with the decision in the district court.
"The decision was made by the district court on Friday, but reached us today and we have decided to comply. ... We are a small operator and we haven't got the financial resources to pursue such a matter," said Victor Möller, CEO at Black Internet, in an interview with Computer Sweden.
The Stockholm court's decision goes back to May when a number of movie and record companies filed a motion with the court to fine the people behind the Pirate Bay operation, including Black Internet, as long as The Pirate Bay users can access copyright-protected material.
Black Internet isn't the only operator that sells capacity to The Pirate Bay, but it's by far the largest. There is some redundancy with capacity from other operators, but not enough for the site to be up and running.
A Swedish court apparently decided it is illegal to be an ISP, said former Pirate Bay spokesman Peter Sunde via Twitter today.
This isn't the first time copyright holders have been able to block The Pirate Bay by taking action against an ISP. The same tactic worked in Denmark, but failed in Italy. There is also a case pending in in Norway, which will go to court Oct. 17.
Meanwhile, Global Gaming Factory X is planning to acquire The Pirate Bay. Its shareholders will decide at a meeting Thursday whether the deal should go through.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected
- Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It?
- All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace
- Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security
- File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important... All Government IT White Papers
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- All Government IT Webcasts