InfoWorld - Microsoft's Developer and Platform Evangelism Interoperability team on Friday is introducing an open-source project to bridge PHP and Microsoft's .Net programming model, Microsoft representatives said.
The company's PHP Toolkit for ADO.Net Data Services uses REST as a bridge between Microsoft's software platform and the popular PHP scripting language, said Peter Galli, Microsoft's open-source community manager, in a blog entry. With the kit, developed by Persistent Systems, PHP developers can more easily take advantage of ADO.Net Data Services, which are a set of features in the .Net Framework for building and consuming data services from the Web. The services previously were referred to as Project Astoria.
The services "expose a wide range of data sources through a RESTful service interface," Galli said. Full support for ADO.NET Data Services is offered in Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and the upcoming Visual Studio 2010 platform.
At design time, the PHP toolkit generates proxy classes based on metadata exposed by ADO.Net Data Services. Developers can call from their code these classes at runtime, for programming against ADO.Net Data Services using local PHP classes.
"Using RESTful services over HTTP, the communication between the PHP application and ADO.Net Data Services is taken care of by the PHP proxy classes and the toolkit libraries, but of course you can look at (or edit) this code," said Claudio Caldato, Senior Program Manager for Microsoft's Interoperability Technical Strategy team, also in a blog.
Funded by Microsoft, the PHP toolkit is available the Microsoft CodePlex site for open source projects. Microsoft also has partnered with PHP tools vendor Zend Technologies to accommodate PHP within the Windows platform.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All App Development White Papers | Webcasts