DOJ approves $7.4B Oracle-Sun deal
The deal still needs the blessing of EU officials
IDG News Service - Oracle on Thursday said the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) has approved its $7.4 billion acquisition of Sun Microsystems, although the deal is subject to certain conditions and still needs the blessing of European regulators.
Oracle first announced its bid in April and Sun shareholders approved the acquisition on July 16.
The combined company will give Oracle an array of new assets, including a stake in the computer hardware market, the open-source MySQL database and stewardship of the Java programming language.
Sun would be just the latest in a long string of companies gobbled up in recent years by Oracle.
But the pending deal for Sun has attracted a particularly large amount of scrutiny, including worries from open-source advocates about the fate of technologies like MySQL and the Solaris operating system under Oracle, and antitrust reviews from the DOJ and European Commission.
In June, the DOJ extended its review of the merger, to address questions over the way Java islicensed. Meanwhile, the European Commission has said it would issue an initial opinion on the deal in September.
- What we know about Oracle Cloud Office, OpenOffice.org
- With merger, Oracle reassures Sun customers
- Don't expect an Amazon EC2 competitor from Oracle
- Oracle will boost MySQL, release Cloud Office suite
- Oracle to keep investing in Sun's server lines
- With emotion, Sun's long goodbye nears the finish
- European Union clears Oracle's purchase of Sun
- Stay away from OpenOffice.org until Oracle shows commitment, analyst says
- EU issues objections to Oracle's Sun acquisition
- EU chides Oracle over probe of Sun deal
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts