Lenovo, targeting HP, releases quartet of 'digital home' PCs
Lenovo makes push outside the box and away from traditional home office PCs
Computerworld - Best known for its conservative Thinkpad business laptops, Lenovo Group Ltd. is trying its best to break out of that box.
The PC maker today released a quartet of consumer PCs under its IdeaCentre line that are firsts in their respective categories for Lenovo. They also sporting slim-and-sexy designs targeting the family or the living room rather than the traditional home office.
They also target No. 1 PC maker Hewlett-Packard Co., which generally rules the consumer segment.
The first are a pair of net-top PCs, the IdeaCentre Q100 and the Q110, that run Intel's Atom processor. They measure 6 x 6 inches and are 0.7 inches thick.
The Q100 uses just 40 watts of power at full operation and 14 watts when idle. The Q110 is not as green, but, instead of Intel's integrated graphics, uses Nvidia's ION graphics chip for 1080p video and DirectX 10 graphics, said Lenovo, making it suitable for watching high-def videos or gaming.
The Q100 and Q110 start at $249 and $349, respectively, and will be available in mid-September.
The IdeaCentre Q700 is a slightly chunkier although more powerful machine aimed squarely at the home theater PC (HTPC) market. It sports an Intel E5200 dual-core CPU at 2.5 GHz, 4 GB memory, 320 GB SATA hard drive, DVD-RW drive, and Intel integrated GMA X4500 graphics. It also supports 1080p graphics via its HDMI connector and 7.1 digital surround sound.
The Q700 is available from Lenovo's Web site, starting at $499.
The D400 supports up to 8TB of total storage, said Lenovo, via its four hard drive bays and five USB ports and eSATA port. It will be available in mid-September with prices starting at $499.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Software Build Acceleration, Analytics and Build Clouds Discover how to dramatically speed up software builds by automatically distributing build jobs over scalable resource clouds and multi-core desktops, with potential savings...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!