IDG News Service - Users of the first Android phone, the G1, may be unable to get significant future operating-system updates because the phone's internal flash is nearly full.
A Google developer who works on Android said recently that he's unsure if the G1 will be able to handle further updates.
"As much as I'm hoping that it'll be possible to somehow continue updating the G1, I can't promise anything," Jean-Baptiste Queru, a software engineer at Google, wrote on Twitter. "We knew that internal flash space was going to be very tight on the G1 and we kept the system partition tight on purpose," he also wrote.
G1 users got the so-called Cupcake update to the operating system earlier this year. Google is reportedly working on further updates to the software, including a version known as Donut. It has not published information beyond the first-quarter update on the Android road map page.
T-Mobile denies that the G1 will be unable to accept future updates. "We plan to continue working with Google to introduce future software updates to the T-Mobile G1. Reports to the contrary are inaccurate," it said in a statement.
But some observers wonder if T-Mobile will continue offering certain updates, like security patches and bug fixes, but not more substantial updates.
The issue raises questions about application compatibility in the future. If developers build applications to the latest software version but the G1 doesn't have that software, the applications may not work for G1 users.
Queru declined to comment further for this story, and Google did not respond to a request for comment.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts