Corsair claims world's fastest 128GB USB flash drive
It touts SLC-like performance in an MLC flash drive
Computerworld - Corsair Memory Inc. today announced what it claims to be the world's fastest a 128GB USB flash drive, the Flash Voyager GT. The newest Flash Voyager GT is based on a dual-controller architecture to achieve what Corsair said is single-level cell (SLC) NAND flash memory performance levels using less expensive and higher-density multilevel cell (MLC) NAND flash.
According to Corsair, the 128GB Flash Voyager GT can achieve read speeds of up to 32MB/sec. and write speeds of up to 25.6MB/sec. The limiting factor in throughput is the speed of the USB 2.0 bus -- a maximum of 480Mbit/sec. -- and any operating system overhead.
In comparison, the 8GB Iron Key USB flash drive, which actually uses SLC flash memory, has a read speed of up to 30MB/sec. and a write speed of up to 20MB/sec. (Computerword's review of the 4GB Iron Key showed it had a read rate of 29MB/sec.) Flash drives with more memory tend to have better performance.
"High performance is a key requirement for super-high-capacity flash drives such as the 128GB Voyager GT, simply because it is able to store such a large volume of data," John Beekley, vice president of applications at Corsair, said in a statement. "The 128GB Voyager GT is nearly twice as fast as other high-capacity flash drives, which means less time waiting for your music, video or office files to copy to and from the drive."
The 128GB Flash Voyager GT also utilizes a water-resistant rubber housing to protect the drive against accidental damage.
But the greater speed comes at a price. The Corsair drive retails for $399 on sites such as Newegg.com.
The 128GB Flash Voyager GT is available now from Corsair's authorized distributors and resellers worldwide and is backed by a 10-year limited warranty. Customer support via telephone, e-mail, forum and Tech Support Express is also available.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts