Corsair claims world's fastest 128GB USB flash drive
It touts SLC-like performance in an MLC flash drive
Computerworld - Corsair Memory Inc. today announced what it claims to be the world's fastest a 128GB USB flash drive, the Flash Voyager GT. The newest Flash Voyager GT is based on a dual-controller architecture to achieve what Corsair said is single-level cell (SLC) NAND flash memory performance levels using less expensive and higher-density multilevel cell (MLC) NAND flash.
According to Corsair, the 128GB Flash Voyager GT can achieve read speeds of up to 32MB/sec. and write speeds of up to 25.6MB/sec. The limiting factor in throughput is the speed of the USB 2.0 bus -- a maximum of 480Mbit/sec. -- and any operating system overhead.
In comparison, the 8GB Iron Key USB flash drive, which actually uses SLC flash memory, has a read speed of up to 30MB/sec. and a write speed of up to 20MB/sec. (Computerword's review of the 4GB Iron Key showed it had a read rate of 29MB/sec.) Flash drives with more memory tend to have better performance.
"High performance is a key requirement for super-high-capacity flash drives such as the 128GB Voyager GT, simply because it is able to store such a large volume of data," John Beekley, vice president of applications at Corsair, said in a statement. "The 128GB Voyager GT is nearly twice as fast as other high-capacity flash drives, which means less time waiting for your music, video or office files to copy to and from the drive."
The 128GB Flash Voyager GT also utilizes a water-resistant rubber housing to protect the drive against accidental damage.
But the greater speed comes at a price. The Corsair drive retails for $399 on sites such as Newegg.com.
The 128GB Flash Voyager GT is available now from Corsair's authorized distributors and resellers worldwide and is backed by a 10-year limited warranty. Customer support via telephone, e-mail, forum and Tech Support Express is also available.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts