Apple Time Machine users hit with Mozy backup errors
Mozy parent Decho says it's working with Apple to fix the problem
Computerworld - Decho Corp. today acknowledged that its popular Mozy online backup service is having problems saving backups sent to it by Apple Inc.'s Time Machine backup tool, which works with Apple's Time Capsule network-attached storage device.
The problem is being caused by Mozy's backup process, which is causing the Time Machine software to pause and then freeze up.
One user who posted on an Apple support discussion forum with the screen name "TSWilkes" noted that "after a year and a half of trouble-free Time Machine backups to a Time Capsule, my sparse bundle failed to mount. I could no longer get TM to mount my MBP's sparse bundle and after trying several things including Disk Utility to repair the disk I ended up having to delete and start fresh."
Decho said that its engineers are working with Apple to fix the problem.
"This morning we detected an issue where Mozy and Time Capsule are not getting along with each other. If our customers are using Time Machine with Time Capsule, then they may run into the issue," said Decho spokesman Devin Knighton in an e-mail.
Knighton said customers using Time Machine with another locally connected external drive are not experiencing problems.
"The good news is that no one is losing information. Mozy and Time Capsule still work. They just are not working together at the same time. Our development team is updating the code right now to get this resolved. We should have it fixed shortly," he said.
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts