Apple Time Machine users hit with Mozy backup errors
Mozy parent Decho says it's working with Apple to fix the problem
Computerworld - Decho Corp. today acknowledged that its popular Mozy online backup service is having problems saving backups sent to it by Apple Inc.'s Time Machine backup tool, which works with Apple's Time Capsule network-attached storage device.
The problem is being caused by Mozy's backup process, which is causing the Time Machine software to pause and then freeze up.
One user who posted on an Apple support discussion forum with the screen name "TSWilkes" noted that "after a year and a half of trouble-free Time Machine backups to a Time Capsule, my sparse bundle failed to mount. I could no longer get TM to mount my MBP's sparse bundle and after trying several things including Disk Utility to repair the disk I ended up having to delete and start fresh."
Decho said that its engineers are working with Apple to fix the problem.
"This morning we detected an issue where Mozy and Time Capsule are not getting along with each other. If our customers are using Time Machine with Time Capsule, then they may run into the issue," said Decho spokesman Devin Knighton in an e-mail.
Knighton said customers using Time Machine with another locally connected external drive are not experiencing problems.
"The good news is that no one is losing information. Mozy and Time Capsule still work. They just are not working together at the same time. Our development team is updating the code right now to get this resolved. We should have it fixed shortly," he said.
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!