Apple Time Machine users hit with Mozy backup errors
Mozy parent Decho says it's working with Apple to fix the problem
Computerworld - Decho Corp. today acknowledged that its popular Mozy online backup service is having problems saving backups sent to it by Apple Inc.'s Time Machine backup tool, which works with Apple's Time Capsule network-attached storage device.
The problem is being caused by Mozy's backup process, which is causing the Time Machine software to pause and then freeze up.
One user who posted on an Apple support discussion forum with the screen name "TSWilkes" noted that "after a year and a half of trouble-free Time Machine backups to a Time Capsule, my sparse bundle failed to mount. I could no longer get TM to mount my MBP's sparse bundle and after trying several things including Disk Utility to repair the disk I ended up having to delete and start fresh."
Decho said that its engineers are working with Apple to fix the problem.
"This morning we detected an issue where Mozy and Time Capsule are not getting along with each other. If our customers are using Time Machine with Time Capsule, then they may run into the issue," said Decho spokesman Devin Knighton in an e-mail.
Knighton said customers using Time Machine with another locally connected external drive are not experiencing problems.
"The good news is that no one is losing information. Mozy and Time Capsule still work. They just are not working together at the same time. Our development team is updating the code right now to get this resolved. We should have it fixed shortly," he said.
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!