Facebook may become social network hub with FriendFeed buy
Facebook agrees to acquire feed aggregator founded by ex-Google managers
Computerworld - Facebook Inc. may be looking to become a social networking hub with its move to acquire real-time feed aggregator FriendFeed.
Mountain View, Calif.-based FriendFeed's 12 employees will move to Facebook's Palo Alto headquarters and will continue to operate the service as usual until the companies decide on a long-term integration plan, they said.
"Since I first tried FriendFeed, I've admired their team for creating such a simple and elegant service for people to share information," said Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook founder and CEO, in a statement. "As this shows, our culture continues to make Facebook a place where the best engineers come to build things quickly that lots of people will use."
FriendFeed, founded by four former Google Inc. employees in October 2007, offers a service that acts as a social networking aggregator, consolidating updates and posts from Web sites, blogs and microblogs like Twitter.
"This is probably a smart move for Facebook, giving them ownership over a social network aggregator and allowing Facebook to make their site the overall hub for social networking," said Dan Olds, an analyst at Gabriel Consulting Group Inc. "Assuming that Facebook can establish itself as a social networking hub for its users, this offers Facebook several advantages. The first is that it will keep users on Facebook pages longer, which means greater exposure for Facebook advertisers and higher ad rates. The stickier Facebook can become for users, the more revenue they can make from their advertising."
Facebook, which is relying heavily on venture capital and little on earned income, isn't averse to making big purchases.
Elizabeth Montalbano of the IDG News Service contributed to this story.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- 6TB Oracle Ecommerce Stack Deployed on AWS in 7 Days A Fortune 1000 company was told that it would take more than 6 months to deploy their ecommerce stack on AWS. CloudVelocity deployed...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts