OCZ to release 1TB SSD this month
Colossus solid-state disk drive will have as many as four controllers
Computerworld - OCZ Technology Group Inc. said today it will release its Colossus solid-state drive (SSD) in the next couple of weeks, delivering the first 3.5-inch form factor SSD with 1TB of capacity.
The drive is aimed at external storage and desktop computing applications, and should be particularly attractive to gamers because of its high capacity and impressive performance.
Like OCZ's midrange, consumer-grade 2.5-inch Vertex SSD, the Colossus uses an Indilinx controller. But unlike the Vertex, the new Colossus drive comes with two or four controllers depending on the capacity, and can be configured for internal RAID 0 for increased performance.
OCZ said that each controller in the Colossus will act as a virtual drive, working with the other controllers through a separate RAID controller from Silicon Image Inc.
Using ATTO Disk Benchmarking software, in 1TB, four-controller configuration the Colossus has a maximum sequential read rate of 261MB/sec and a maximum sequential write rate of the same, OCZ says. Using the IOMeter benchmarking tool, the drive turned in 223MB/sec sequential read rate and 224MB/sec sequential write rate."The initial results we have tested show that the Colossus really excels in the small file random reads/writes," an OCZ spokeswoman said.
Bottom line on performance: No matter how you look at the numbers, this drive purportedly screams.
The Colossus will be available in 128GB, 256GB, 512GB and 1TB capacities for $300, $650, $1200 and $2200, respectively.The 128GB through 512GB models will have dual controllers and the 1TB version will come with four controllers.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts