IDG News Service - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. introduced a new chipset on Monday with an integrated graphics core that provides a better high-definition video experience compared to earlier chipsets, the company said.
AMD's 785G chipset provides better raw graphics performance than its predecessor, the 780G, and has advanced HD video decoding features built into the integrated graphics controller. The graphics core is based on the ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics processor, an improvement over the Radeon HD 3200 in the 780G chipset.
The new graphics core provides clearer images and brighter colors, said Brent Barry, product marketing manager for desktops at AMD. The earlier chipsets mostly unloaded HD video decoding from the CPU to the graphics controller, while the new chipset does some of the post-processing to enhance video quality, Barry said.
It builds in support for a range of video interfaces to transmit HD images to display devices, including HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) 1.3 and DisplayPort.
The chipset is also the first for budget systems to support DirectX 10.1, Microsoft's API (application programming interface), which taps into graphics cores for improved gaming and video. The DirectX 10.1 API includes faster rendering techniques to bring greater realism to 3D games. Games like "World of Warcraft," "The Sims 3" and "Battlefield Heroes" could see improved performance on the new chipset, Barry said.
AMD's 790GX chipset also supports DirectX 10.1, but it's for higher-end systems where users can add discrete graphics cards to the motherboard.
The 785G works with multiple AMD processors including Athlon, Phenom and Sempron. It is aimed at buyers who want a budget system with integrated graphics. The systems will start appearing on shelves later this year, Barry said.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Software Build Acceleration, Analytics and Build Clouds Discover how to dramatically speed up software builds by automatically distributing build jobs over scalable resource clouds and multi-core desktops, with potential savings...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!