FAQ: Data shows overseas shift for U.S. IT jobs
If the Grassley/Durbin bill is approved, Indian firms will have to hire more U.S. workers
Computerworld - U.S. IT providers continue to push jobs offshore, while Indian firms work to refine the amount of work they complete overseas. Although Congress may force the Indian firms to hire more Americans -- and Indian companies have been telling investors that they may have to indeed do that -- the change won't likely affect the overall trend and the shift in jobs outside the U.S.
Okay, so where are U.S. jobs going? What's the data show? Data prepared by Everest Group Inc., a research and outsourcing consulting firm, shows in broad brush fashion the shift of jobs overseas by some major IT services vendors. In 2006, U.S. and European firms typically had less than 20% of their workforces offshore; Now, for most companies that figure may well be generally over 30%. (See chart below; yellow indicates onshore percentage; blue, offshore percentage.)
The firms that have discussed their plans include Affiliated Computer Services Inc. and Perot Systems Inc. IBM's U.S. workforce declined 5% last year to 115,000, even as its workforce in Brazil, China, Russia and India grew 15%, to 113,000.
Though Indian firms now have roughly 75% to 80% of their workers in India and other low-wage countries, Western companies continue to close the gap. "It will never become identical, because the companies fundamentally have a different mix of businesses," said Eric Simonson, managing principal of research at the Everest Group.
Aren't Indian firms expanding the size of their U.S. workforces? Yes, there have been announcements by various Indian companies that they plan to open centers in the U.S. But the number of employees is small compared to their overall workforces. Look at Mumbai-based Tata Consultancy Services, for instance. That company earns more than 50% of its revenue from North America, but Tata has more Ecuadoran workers than American workers, according to data it released this month. (See page 18 of TCS's PDF.)
Of the approximately 123,404 employed by TCS, not including subsidiaries, 91.7% are Indian nationals. Of the remaining 8.3% of the company's workforce, just 900, or 8.7% are Americans. That's less than the percentage of TCS workers who are Mexican (9.8%); Ecuadoran (13.1%) or Chilean (15.3%). TCS has employees in every corner of the globe.
How dependent are Indian offshore firms on H-1B and L-1 visas? In a word, very. These companies' business models are based on their ability to move Indian and other foreign nationals in and out of the U.S. Here's a more direct answer: The "majority of [Indian] companies that operate here have significantly more [than] 50% of their workers on H-1B/L1 visas," Som Mittol, the president of the National Association of Software and Services Companies (Nasscom), an Indian trade group, SAID in a recent interview.
- U.S. Senator blasts Microsoft's H-1B push as it lays off 18,000 workers
- Court case offers a peek at how H-1B-fueled discrimination works
- Obama has big options for green card, H-1B reform without Congress
- An H-1B whistleblower tries again for justice
- If immigration reform is dead, so is raising the H-1B cap
- Many comments on new H-1B rule, but few are 'unique'
- Readers rant about IT worker who trained H1-B replacement
- Cantor, a reliable 'yes' vote for raising the H-1B visa cap, is unseated
- This IT worker had to train an H-1B replacement
- An H-1B cap hike would mean a grim future for workers
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts