Sony e-readers get access to 1M free public domain books from Google
Race for largest e-bookstore resumes as Sony, Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble vie for top spot
Computerworld - The race to offer the biggest electronic bookstore got more competitive today as Sony Corp. announced that users of its e-book readers now have access to more than 1 million free public domain books through the Google Books project.
Sony claimed the news meant it is now the largest source for e-books. It also has an additional 200,000 popular books for sale, including nearly all of the current bestsellers.
However, BarnesandNoble.com LLC on July 20 announced that it had 700,000 e-book titles available, including more than half a million from Google in the public domain.
A Barnes & Noble spokeswoman said today that the Google public domain books are not exclusively available to Sony, and that Barnes & Noble would also have access to Google's e-books.
"We're not saying a number of how many we have available," the spokeswoman said, but she added that the figure was clearly higher than 700,000. With the Google number doubled to 1 million, Barnes & Noble could have as many as 1.2 million, putting it in a tie with Sony.
Amazon.com Inc. is the other big contender in the e-bookstore war, with more than 300,000 titles available for its Kindle e-book readers and Apple iPhones and iPod Touch devices.
Sony's e-books are available on its two e-readers, the PRS-505 and the PRS-700.
Barnes & Noble said it is offering its books for the iPhone and the iPod Touch, BlackBerry smartphones, and soon, exclusively, Plastic Logic Ltd.'s upcoming eReader device. In addition to handhelds, Barnes & Noble supports most Windows and Mac laptops and desktop computers.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- It's Not Them, It's You: How Customer Experience Impacts Your Identity and Access Management Practices Customers want more online access, but they also want to do less to get there: more mobility with less hassle. More security, but...
- 5 Reasons It's Time For Secure Single Sign-On While cloud-based applications provide many business benefits including lowering capital expenditures, they can also drive up operational expenses by requiring more administration and...
- Identity is the Center of Omnichannel This paper covers the benefits of adding an identity layer to bridge the gaps of simplified access, multiple entry points and authentication -...
- How to Extend Identity Security to Your APIs This paper discusses what these standards and specifications are, how they can be composed with existing standards like SAML, and details about how...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts