Western Digital releases 1TB drive for laptops, external USB devices
It says the 1TB WD Scorpio Blue is the highest capacity 2.5-inch drive available
Computerworld - Western Digital Corp. today unveiled what it said is the industry's highest capacity 2.5-inch mobile hard disk drive, the 1TB WD Scorpio Blue.
The Scorpio Blue, which also comes in a 750GB version, uses three 333GB platters to achieve its high capacity. The drive is mainly aimed at the external portable storage market and will be used in Western Digital's recently released My Passport Essential SE Portable USB drive. But the company said the Scorpio Blue will also be used by "select" laptop and small form-factor PCs.
The company did not elaborate on which computer manufacturers are considering using the new drive.
"Our new WD Scorpio Blue drives enable people to take even more of their digital collections with them wherever they go and, realizing the value of their data, back up their notebooks on their My Passport drives," Jim Morris, senior vice president and general manager of client systems at Western Digital, said in a statement.
Both the 1Tb and the 750GB drives have 8MB of cache and spin at 5,200 rpm.
WD Scorpio Blue features Western Digital's noise-reducing WhisperDrive technology and ShockGuard, which increases shock tolerance for mobile and notebook applications. The new drive also uses the company's SecurePark, which parks the recording heads off the disk surface during spin up, spin down and when the drive is off to ensure the recording head never touches the disk surface. That should lead to improved long-term reliability due to less head wear and improved shock tolerance.
The WD Scorpio Blue 750GB drive (model WD7500KEVT) is available now through select distributors and resellers, and the 1TB capacity (model WD10TEVT) is available now configured into My Passport Essential SE USB drives. The suggested retail price for the 1TB model is $249.99; the 750GB version is priced at $189.99.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts