Intel files appeal against European antitrust fine
The Commission 'misinterpreted some evidence,' says Intel spokesman
IDG News Service - Intel lodged an appeal of the European Commission's antitrust ruling against it with Europe's second highest court Wednesday, arguing that the regulator failed to consider evidence supporting the chip maker's arguments.
"We believe the Commission misinterpreted some evidence and ignored other pieces of evidence," said company spokesman Robert Manetta in a telephone interview.
The Commission found Intel guilty of antitrust abuse in May and fined the company just over $1.4 billio), the largest single antitrust fine it has ever meted out to a company.
It also ordered it to stop handing out rebates to PC manufacturers and retailers on condition of near or total exclusivity, and to stop paying PC makers to delay the launch of models equipped with chips made by its closest rival AMD.
Intel's appeal will be heard by the Court of First Instance in Luxembourg.
Antitrust authorities in South Korea and Japan have also found fault with Intel's marketing methods, such as rebates, and the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and New York Attorney General's office are investigating Intel for abuse of its monopoly position.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!