Intel files appeal against European antitrust fine
The Commission 'misinterpreted some evidence,' says Intel spokesman
IDG News Service - Intel lodged an appeal of the European Commission's antitrust ruling against it with Europe's second highest court Wednesday, arguing that the regulator failed to consider evidence supporting the chip maker's arguments.
"We believe the Commission misinterpreted some evidence and ignored other pieces of evidence," said company spokesman Robert Manetta in a telephone interview.
The Commission found Intel guilty of antitrust abuse in May and fined the company just over $1.4 billio), the largest single antitrust fine it has ever meted out to a company.
It also ordered it to stop handing out rebates to PC manufacturers and retailers on condition of near or total exclusivity, and to stop paying PC makers to delay the launch of models equipped with chips made by its closest rival AMD.
Intel's appeal will be heard by the Court of First Instance in Luxembourg.
Antitrust authorities in South Korea and Japan have also found fault with Intel's marketing methods, such as rebates, and the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and New York Attorney General's office are investigating Intel for abuse of its monopoly position.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts