Intel files appeal against European antitrust fine
The Commission 'misinterpreted some evidence,' says Intel spokesman
IDG News Service - Intel lodged an appeal of the European Commission's antitrust ruling against it with Europe's second highest court Wednesday, arguing that the regulator failed to consider evidence supporting the chip maker's arguments.
"We believe the Commission misinterpreted some evidence and ignored other pieces of evidence," said company spokesman Robert Manetta in a telephone interview.
The Commission found Intel guilty of antitrust abuse in May and fined the company just over $1.4 billio), the largest single antitrust fine it has ever meted out to a company.
It also ordered it to stop handing out rebates to PC manufacturers and retailers on condition of near or total exclusivity, and to stop paying PC makers to delay the launch of models equipped with chips made by its closest rival AMD.
Intel's appeal will be heard by the Court of First Instance in Luxembourg.
Antitrust authorities in South Korea and Japan have also found fault with Intel's marketing methods, such as rebates, and the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and New York Attorney General's office are investigating Intel for abuse of its monopoly position.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts