Foxconn hands iPhone suicide case to Chinese police
IDG News Service - Foxconn, the world's largest contract electronics manufacturer, has asked Chinese police to investigate a case in which an employee reportedly committed suicide after being pressured over the loss of an iPhone prototype.
Sun Danyong, 25, was tasked with sending 16 fourth-generation iPhone prototypes to Apple this month, but Apple only received 15 when the package arrived, according to Chinese media. Sun reportedly leaped from his apartment window last week, though police are investigating whether he may have been murdered, the Shanghai Daily said.
Foxconn, a Taiwanese company that has manufactured Apple iPods and iPhones for years, allegedly pressured Sun to hand over the missing phone, the Chinese-language Southern Metropolis Daily said, and he was reportedly roughed up by a company security official.
In a statement, Foxconn said it has suspended the security official named in the reports and handed the case to police for investigation. The statement also said Sun's death revealed management shortcomings at Foxconn and that the company would work to provide better psychological support to employees.
A company representative declined to discuss specifics of the case, saying Foxconn cannot divulge information relating to its customers.
Allegations of trouble with Foxconn workers in China have bitten Apple before. The U.S. company and its relationship with Foxconn was brought to light three years ago when a British newspaper wrote about allegedly poor pay and long hours for iPod assembly line workers. Apple conducted its own review of the facility but found few violations of its supplier code of conduct.
"We are saddened by the tragic loss of this young employee, and we are awaiting results of the investigations into his death," Apple said in a statement. "We require that our suppliers treat all workers with dignity and respect."
Foxconn is the trade name of Hon Hai Precision Industry.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!