Tip No. 3: Think you might have an iPhone lemon? Get it tested
The tip: What's the most popular paid utility app in the App Store right now? Answer: myBatteryLife. There seems to be a lot of discrepancy in the battery life of the iPhone 3GS -- and it's a difficult metric to measure given the varying ways that people use their phones. That's why many users are tracking their iPhone battery lifespan.
And anecdotal evidence suggests there are a lot of iPhone 3GS lemons with poorly performing batteries on the market. How do you know if you have a lemon? How do you know if your iPhone battery is operating within acceptable parameters or not?
Here's what one reader, Clark Smith, found out: Smith bought an iPhone 3GS last week, and the battery life was abysmal. The iPhone battery, he says, would die by lunch after having powered only about an hour of on-air time, 50 e-mails (40 received, 10 sent), and no text messages. Bluetooth was turned on, and Wi-Fi turned off.
Smith went to an Apple Store and complained. An Apple Genius "plugs my phone into some sort of diagnostic software, makes a funny face, says he'll be back in a minute, and then reappears with a new phone," Smith says. When it comes to battery life, the replacement is still not in the category of the BlackBerry, he says, but it's much better than the lemon.
Another reader, Mark Bishop, says Apple Geniuses recently tested his and his wife's iPhones. Diagnostics showed that Bishop's iPhone had a bad battery, he says, and that his wife's iPhone kept unexpectedly resetting, which probably meant it had a bad modem chip. "With that determined, we both walked out with new phones in about 20 minutes," he says. "Thanks for your article because it motivated me to take our phones back and take Apple to task."
The trouble: Of course, a trip to an Apple Store can be a nightmare too. Apple's notorious secrecy led one iPhone owner on a 120-mile wild goose chase around Los Angeles county in search of a new iPhone 3GS that doesn't overheat and that holds a charge.
Bishop also says Apple reps told him these interesting tidbits about the iPhone battery:
- The battery gauge isn't very accurate -- that is, a 100% charge doesn't necessarily mean it's full, and thus you might need to re-sync the chips on the battery and the device, these reps said.
- A heavily used iPhone will get only a day's use before needing a recharge, the reps said. More than a few readers, though, contend that it won't get half a day.
- Apple's advertised times for playing music and videos was an estimate based on best-case scenarios using prototype phones, the reps said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts