IDG News Service - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. added five more chips to its line of Six-Core Opteron processors on Monday, offering a boost in performance with lower power consumption than current models.
The new additions include three Six-Core Opteron HE processor models that are manufactured using a 45-nanometer process and can be used in servers with four, six or eight processors. The six-core chips consume 55 watts of power, on average, compared to 75 watts and 105 watts for other models, according to AMD.
The new low-power chips -- the 2-GHz Six-Core Opteron 2423 HE, 2.1-GHz Six-Core Opteron 2425 HE, and 2.1-GHz Six-Core Opteron 8425 HE -- are priced from $455 to $1,514 each, in 1,000-unit quantities, according to AMD's most recent price list.
Lowering power consumption with the HE variants of the Six-Core Opteron allows server chip sets to be packed more closely together, reducing the space needed. It also helps contain rising power costs as companies pack more servers into data centers.
The new Six-Core Opteron chips are already available in ProLiant G6 systems from Hewlett-Packard Co. Other vendors, including IBM and Dell Inc., are readying servers to be released over the next month or so.
In addition to the introduction of the three Six-Core Opteron HE chips, AMD added two more chips to the lineup: the 2.8-GHz Six-Core Opteron SE 8439 and the 2.8-GHz Six-Core Opteron SE 2439. Both chips consume 105 watts of power, according to AMD.
They are priced at $2,649 and $1,019, respectively.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts