Monday's Office 2010 preview leaks to BitTorrent
New build may be invite-only beta slated to debut on Monday
Computerworld - Just hours before Microsoft plans to launch Office 2010, a build that may be the first public preview of the suite leaked to the Internet, searches showed late Sunday.
A new version of Office 2010, build 14.0.4302.1000, appeared on several BitTorrent tracking sites Sunday, including Mininova.org. Both the 32- and 64-bit editions leaked to file-sharing sites.
As of midnight ET, the 32-bit version showed about 30 "seeders" -- the term for a computer that has a complete copy of the torrent file -- and about 400 "leechers," or computers that have downloaded only part of the complete torrent. Approximately 1,200 copies of the file had been downloaded.
Office 2010 has leaked before. In May, a week after Microsoft announced that it would issue the Technical Preview this summer, an early edition showed up on BitTorrent.
According to multiple reports last week, Microsoft will kick off its Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) Monday morning by announcing it's ready to distribute Office 2010's invite-only preview, and by demonstrating Office Web -- lightweight, online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.
Although Microsoft said that the Office 2010 Technical Preview will be issued to hundreds of thousands of users, it's an invitation-only prelude to a wider public beta that the company will run later this year. Microsoft has not announced a date for the beta, but expects to provide millions of copies of the suite.
Office 2010 is slated to ship sometime during the first half of next year.
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Knowledge Center White Papers | Webcasts