Monday's Office 2010 preview leaks to BitTorrent
New build may be invite-only beta slated to debut on Monday
Computerworld - Just hours before Microsoft plans to launch Office 2010, a build that may be the first public preview of the suite leaked to the Internet, searches showed late Sunday.
A new version of Office 2010, build 14.0.4302.1000, appeared on several BitTorrent tracking sites Sunday, including Mininova.org. Both the 32- and 64-bit editions leaked to file-sharing sites.
As of midnight ET, the 32-bit version showed about 30 "seeders" -- the term for a computer that has a complete copy of the torrent file -- and about 400 "leechers," or computers that have downloaded only part of the complete torrent. Approximately 1,200 copies of the file had been downloaded.
Office 2010 has leaked before. In May, a week after Microsoft announced that it would issue the Technical Preview this summer, an early edition showed up on BitTorrent.
According to multiple reports last week, Microsoft will kick off its Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) Monday morning by announcing it's ready to distribute Office 2010's invite-only preview, and by demonstrating Office Web -- lightweight, online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.
Although Microsoft said that the Office 2010 Technical Preview will be issued to hundreds of thousands of users, it's an invitation-only prelude to a wider public beta that the company will run later this year. Microsoft has not announced a date for the beta, but expects to provide millions of copies of the suite.
Office 2010 is slated to ship sometime during the first half of next year.
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Knowledge Center White Papers | Webcasts