Monday's Office 2010 preview leaks to BitTorrent
New build may be invite-only beta slated to debut on Monday
Computerworld - Just hours before Microsoft plans to launch Office 2010, a build that may be the first public preview of the suite leaked to the Internet, searches showed late Sunday.
A new version of Office 2010, build 14.0.4302.1000, appeared on several BitTorrent tracking sites Sunday, including Mininova.org. Both the 32- and 64-bit editions leaked to file-sharing sites.
As of midnight ET, the 32-bit version showed about 30 "seeders" -- the term for a computer that has a complete copy of the torrent file -- and about 400 "leechers," or computers that have downloaded only part of the complete torrent. Approximately 1,200 copies of the file had been downloaded.
Office 2010 has leaked before. In May, a week after Microsoft announced that it would issue the Technical Preview this summer, an early edition showed up on BitTorrent.
According to multiple reports last week, Microsoft will kick off its Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) Monday morning by announcing it's ready to distribute Office 2010's invite-only preview, and by demonstrating Office Web -- lightweight, online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.
Although Microsoft said that the Office 2010 Technical Preview will be issued to hundreds of thousands of users, it's an invitation-only prelude to a wider public beta that the company will run later this year. Microsoft has not announced a date for the beta, but expects to provide millions of copies of the suite.
Office 2010 is slated to ship sometime during the first half of next year.
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Cloud Backup IT departments are embracing cloud backup, but there's a lot you need to know before choosing a service provider. Learn all the critical...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- BYOP: How Mobile and Social Are Creating New User Personas The digital world of mobile + social creates new customer segments and behaviors. Companies need to reorient their customer interactions around these segments...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Knowledge Center White Papers | Webcasts