Oracle halts work on green data center in Utah
But it's not saying why the work stopped
IDG News Service - Oracle recently halted work on a green data center project in a suburb of Salt Lake City, but it is not clear why.
The data center in West Jordan, which is supposed to support Oracle's on-demand division, was announced last year under the name "Project Sequoia."
Various reports have placed the center's size at 200,000 square feet, with a construction budget of about $300 million. The project was to make major advancements in power savings, according to a presentation by Oracle CIO Mark Sunday at last year's LinuxWorld conference.
But for now, that vision won't be realized.
"They've said they are going to postpone construction," said Michael Sullivan, communications director for the Governor's Office of Economic Development. Utah expects that Oracle will resume the project, but the vendor hasn't stated a time frame, Sullivan added.
Oracle stands to enjoy millions in state and local incentives, but under Utah's regulations, it won't receive anything until the project is completed, according to Sullivan.
Sullivan declined to speculate on the reasons behind Oracle's decision.
One possible clue is tied to the vendor's pending acquisition of Sun Microsystems, which recently opened an advanced data center in the neighboring state of Colorado.
Oracle did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Best Practices in BYOD - Addressing BYOD Challenges in the Enterprise Take control of the iOS, Android™ and BlackBerry® devices in your organization, from one powerful, unified console.
- Built for Business: 10 Reasons BlackBerry Smartphones Are Still the Best Way to Do Business The BlackBerry® 10 mobile computing platform removes many of the barriers that slow down other devices. Here are just a few of the...
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts