Oracle halts work on green data center in Utah
But it's not saying why the work stopped
IDG News Service - Oracle recently halted work on a green data center project in a suburb of Salt Lake City, but it is not clear why.
The data center in West Jordan, which is supposed to support Oracle's on-demand division, was announced last year under the name "Project Sequoia."
Various reports have placed the center's size at 200,000 square feet, with a construction budget of about $300 million. The project was to make major advancements in power savings, according to a presentation by Oracle CIO Mark Sunday at last year's LinuxWorld conference.
But for now, that vision won't be realized.
"They've said they are going to postpone construction," said Michael Sullivan, communications director for the Governor's Office of Economic Development. Utah expects that Oracle will resume the project, but the vendor hasn't stated a time frame, Sullivan added.
Oracle stands to enjoy millions in state and local incentives, but under Utah's regulations, it won't receive anything until the project is completed, according to Sullivan.
Sullivan declined to speculate on the reasons behind Oracle's decision.
One possible clue is tied to the vendor's pending acquisition of Sun Microsystems, which recently opened an advanced data center in the neighboring state of Colorado.
Oracle did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- Are You Prepared for a Software Audit? Just the word "audit" is enough to make anyone shiver, and when it comes to a software audit, the reaction is no different....
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Management White Papers | Webcasts