DDOS attack again takes down South Korean Web sites
This is the third day in a row the attacks have succeeded
IDG News Service - For the third day in a row a number of major public and private Web sites in South Korea have been taken off the Internet by a distributed denial of service attack.
The attack hit the Chosun Ilbo daily newspaper, ranked the top news Web site in the country; Internet Auction, one of the largest online auction services; Kookmin Bank; the South Korean President's home page, and the home page of U.S. Forces Korea.
Some sites that were hit a day earlier, including the National Assembly and Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, appeared to be operating normally.
The third wave of attacks began at around 6 p.m. local time (9 a.m. GMT), just as, earlier in the day, computer security specialist AhnLab had warned they would.
This kind of denial of service attack involves sending a massive volume of traffic to a Web site so that it becomes overloaded. While some users will occasionally be able to access the site being attacked, most will see nothing until a network time-out message appears. The type of DOS attack being used against the Korean sites is a distributed DOS attack (DDOS) that sends traffic from a number of different computers to result in an even greater volume of access requests.
The attacks have been headline news in Korean newspapers and on TV news bulletins throughout the day and users are being urged to update their antivirus software or download software from security company home pages.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts