Updated MyDoom responsible for DDOS attacks, says AhnLab
IDG News Service - An updated version of the MyDoom virus is responsible for a large DDOS (distributed denial of service) attack that took down major U.S. Web sites over the weekend and South Korean Web sites on Wednesday, according to Korean computer security company AhnLab.
When it was discovered in January 2004, MyDoom quickly became the fastest-spreading e-mail worm in Internet history. Once a PC was infected with MyDoom, it would harvest e-mail addresses and e-mails itself out repeatedly. Early variants MyDoom were coded to conduct DDOS attacks against other Web sites within certain time periods.
The latest MyDoom variants seen by AhnLab also include a downloader that can bring other malicious code into the compromised PC, a feature also present in earlier versions of the malware. An additional file contains details of Web site to be attacked.
It lists 13 South Korean Web sites and 23 U.S. sites, according to a Korean blogger who analyzed the source code. Most of the sites on the list are those reported to have been attacked or are still under attack.
While U.S. sites experienced problems over the weekend, in South Korea the trouble began on Tuesday night. Throughout most of Wednesday many of the Web sites, which include several high-profile properties, were unavailable.
As of 6 p.m. local time (9 a.m. GMT) government sites inaccessible are the presidential Web site, the National Assembly and those of the Foreign Affairs and National Defense ministries. Also offline are the Grand National Party, U.S. Forces Korea and the electronic banking sites of Korea Exchange Bank, Shinhan Bank and NongHyup Bank.
Shortly before 6 p.m. two major commercial sites that had been unavailable for most of the day, the Chosun Ilbo national daily and Internet Auction, reappeared. Only two of the 13 Korean sites listed had been available for most of the day: the e-mail and blog sites of major portal Naver.
AhnLab said the code has been written so its possible for the attackers to change the list of sites targeted.
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
If you think getting it right from day one is always what matters, you probably haven't been following technology too closely.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Bring Networks and Applications Closer--Cisco ONE
- A series of sweeping trends is placing new requirements on the tried-and-true network model--requiring network infrastructure and applications to communicate. Get the open...
- Lippis Research Reviews the Cisco Catalyst 2960-X
- In this Lippis Report Research Note, Lippis Research reviews the latest edition of the "most popular access switch on the planet" -- the...
- Design Guide--Scaling Up to a Campus-Wide LAN
- Is it time to scale your network environment to a campus wired LAN? Here's the framework you need to set up your LAN...
- Comprehensive Security: Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series
- With a rich and comprehensive set of security features, Cisco Catalyst 2960-X and 2960-XR Series Switches can help you address networking megatrends such...
- Be Energy Efficient--The Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series
- How much energy could be saved if all 230 million Layer 2 and 3 fixed managed switch ports sold in 2012 were as... All Government IT White Papers
- Modernizing SAP environments with minimum risk - a path to Big Data Hear from top IDC analyst, Richard Villars, about the path you can start taking now to enable your organization to get the benefits...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for SAP HANA® Overview video from DJ Long about the new Vblock Specialized System for SAP HANA®.
- The Power of the Citrix Mobility Solution, XenMobile Does everything become a smartphone? Or does the smartphone begin to do everything? How can we afford to support BYOD? Rather, how can...
- BYOD Happens: How to Secure Mobility How to navigate the journey of securing mobility, including the BYOD corruption of IT, the top ten mobility strategies, and the mobility management...
- Fighting Fraud Videos: IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager Short videos about IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager (IIM) for Fraud. IIM optimizes the investigation of fraud for customers across many industries in both...
- All Government IT Webcasts
Does your organization offer extensive benefits, cool perks, competitive salaries, opportunities for training and advancement? Then get it recognized!
Nominate your company or another deserving organization for Computerworld's 2014 Best Places to Work in IT list now through Dec. 20, 2013.