Mozilla slates first Firefox 3.5 patch
Plans to patch bugs this month that went unfixed in final version
Computerworld - Mozilla will patch the just-released Firefox 3.5 in the next few weeks to stamp out several bugs that went unfixed in the final version of the browser, the company said Tuesday.
Firefox 3.5.1, which Mozilla intends to deliver in mid-to-late July, will include fixes for at least three bugs and "topcrashes," the term the company uses to describe the frequently-reported crashes. Like many applications, Firefox asks users to report crashes by displaying a prompt after the browser goes down.
"[The] goal of this release should be a quick turnaround that fixes topcrashes and bugs we almost held ship for," Mozilla said in notes published after a weekly status meeting.
The quick patch is not unusual for Mozilla. The company did the same thing last year, when it issued Firefox 3.0.1 four weeks after shipping Firefox 3.0, 2008's update.
Users downloaded about 6.5 million copies of Firefox 3.5 in the browser's first 36 hours, according to Mozilla's real-time counter. Although that's a far cry from the 8.3 million copies of Firefox 3.0 Mozilla delivered in the first 24 hours of its availability last summer, it's a pace that, if sustained, would exceed the 11 million copies of Safari 4 that Apple claimed were downloaded in its first three days.
Firefox 3.5 can be downloaded in Windows, Mac and Linux editions in 58 different languages from Mozilla's site; current users can update by choosing "Check for Updates" under the "Help" menu.
- Review: Firefox 3.5 makes browsing faster, easier and more fun
- Firefox 3.5 downloads surpass 2M within hours
- SJVN: Firefox 3.5 is back on top, for now
- Mozilla launches Firefox 3.5, starts 3.0 kill clock
- Could Opera Unite be a botmaster's best friend?
- First look: Opera Unite alpha lets you share files -- but is it safe?
- Apple touts Safari downloads, loses browser share
- Preston Gralla: Chrome 2.0 is Google's biggest yawn
- SJVN: Browser wars 2009: Firefox, Chrome, & Internet Explorer
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts