IDG News Service - Some Palm Pre owners are complaining about poor hardware quality of the phones, with at least one person saying that he's already had to return four devices.
One common problem even has a name now: the Oreo. That describes the way that some devices slide open loosely and twist, reminiscent of the way that some people twist open Oreo cookies.
Others complain of dead pixels on the screens or loose-fitting cases that let in dust and outside light, dulling the screen.
On the PreCentral forum, a user going by the name Sivan says that he has returned four Pres for various problems with the hardware. His current device has a dead pixel, but he's decided that problem is minor enough to live with.
One person said he and his girlfriend bought Pres and while he's had no problems, she had to return hers because it was overheating and the power button would stick.
Another writer said he has a Centro, Treo Pro and Pre. "The Treo Pro is hands down better built. My Pre has 4 stuck pixels, a creaky battery cover, and overall just doesn't feel like a quality product. I do not have any wobble, blotches, and twisting problems, however," he wrote.
Amid the complainers, however, are sympathetic people who say their phones feel solid and work just fine.
"I love my Pre. I have had zero problems with it. And I use the phone constantly, sliding the keyboard in and out countless times per day..." wrote JonR88.
Palm did not reply to a request for comment. PreCentral isn't affiliated with the vendor.
Palm has staked its future on the Pre and the new WebOS software it runs on. It has struggled in its transition from a company that sells primarily personal digital assistants to one that sells smartphones. The Pre launched earlier this month amid rumors of shortages due to trouble Palm had in the manufacturing process.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts