IDG News Service - Some Palm Pre owners are complaining about poor hardware quality of the phones, with at least one person saying that he's already had to return four devices.
One common problem even has a name now: the Oreo. That describes the way that some devices slide open loosely and twist, reminiscent of the way that some people twist open Oreo cookies.
Others complain of dead pixels on the screens or loose-fitting cases that let in dust and outside light, dulling the screen.
On the PreCentral forum, a user going by the name Sivan says that he has returned four Pres for various problems with the hardware. His current device has a dead pixel, but he's decided that problem is minor enough to live with.
One person said he and his girlfriend bought Pres and while he's had no problems, she had to return hers because it was overheating and the power button would stick.
Another writer said he has a Centro, Treo Pro and Pre. "The Treo Pro is hands down better built. My Pre has 4 stuck pixels, a creaky battery cover, and overall just doesn't feel like a quality product. I do not have any wobble, blotches, and twisting problems, however," he wrote.
Amid the complainers, however, are sympathetic people who say their phones feel solid and work just fine.
"I love my Pre. I have had zero problems with it. And I use the phone constantly, sliding the keyboard in and out countless times per day..." wrote JonR88.
Palm did not reply to a request for comment. PreCentral isn't affiliated with the vendor.
Palm has staked its future on the Pre and the new WebOS software it runs on. It has struggled in its transition from a company that sells primarily personal digital assistants to one that sells smartphones. The Pre launched earlier this month amid rumors of shortages due to trouble Palm had in the manufacturing process.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts