IDG News Service - Some Palm Pre owners are complaining about poor hardware quality of the phones, with at least one person saying that he's already had to return four devices.
One common problem even has a name now: the Oreo. That describes the way that some devices slide open loosely and twist, reminiscent of the way that some people twist open Oreo cookies.
Others complain of dead pixels on the screens or loose-fitting cases that let in dust and outside light, dulling the screen.
On the PreCentral forum, a user going by the name Sivan says that he has returned four Pres for various problems with the hardware. His current device has a dead pixel, but he's decided that problem is minor enough to live with.
One person said he and his girlfriend bought Pres and while he's had no problems, she had to return hers because it was overheating and the power button would stick.
Another writer said he has a Centro, Treo Pro and Pre. "The Treo Pro is hands down better built. My Pre has 4 stuck pixels, a creaky battery cover, and overall just doesn't feel like a quality product. I do not have any wobble, blotches, and twisting problems, however," he wrote.
Amid the complainers, however, are sympathetic people who say their phones feel solid and work just fine.
"I love my Pre. I have had zero problems with it. And I use the phone constantly, sliding the keyboard in and out countless times per day..." wrote JonR88.
Palm did not reply to a request for comment. PreCentral isn't affiliated with the vendor.
Palm has staked its future on the Pre and the new WebOS software it runs on. It has struggled in its transition from a company that sells primarily personal digital assistants to one that sells smartphones. The Pre launched earlier this month amid rumors of shortages due to trouble Palm had in the manufacturing process.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts