Google to promote Web speed on new developer site
IDG News Service - Google has created a Web site for developers that is focused exclusively on making Web applications, sites and browsers faster.
The site grew out of Google's decision to publicly share a set of best practices the search company has developed over the years.
By offering tutorials, tips and performance tools via the new site, Google wants to help make the Web faster by assembling a community of developers interested in online speed and performance.
The site will allow developers to submit ideas, suggestions and questions via a discussion forum and by using Google's Moderator tool, said Google product manager Richard Rabbat in an interview.
Google will make the announcement on Tuesday at O'Reilly Media's Velocity conference in San Jose, California, an event focused on Web performance.
Google has maintained for years that the performance of Web sites and applications is extremely important to the company, which developed Chrome in large part because it wasn't satisfied with existing browser technology in this area.
Most Google products, from its core search engine for consumers to its collaboration and communication applications for businesses, run on the Web. The company worries that performance constraints beyond its control may hold back development of its services.
"We're hoping the community will spend some time on the basic protocols of the Internet," Rabbat said. "There's quite a bit of optimization that can be done [in that area]."
Through the new Web site, Google also wants to promote the creation and use of tools for performance measurement, troubleshooting and tuning. In addition, Google will use the site to push for more broadband access around the world.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts