Microsoft to end Windows 7 RC downloads Aug. 15
Windows 7 Beta begins auto-rebooting July 1
Computerworld - Microsoft will turn off the Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) tap on Aug. 15, the company said today.
"The [Release Candidate] download program closes August 15. After that, you won't be able to get the download, but you can still install the RC and get a key if you need one," Microsoft employee Stephen Rose said on a company blog today.
Microsoft launched Windows 7 RC, the final public preview of the upcoming operating system, on May 4. At the time, Microsoft said that the RC would be available at least through July, a change from its policy earlier in the year, when a download cap on the beta overwhelmed the download servers on opening day.
Windows 7 will hit retail and debut on new PCs on Oct. 22, Microsoft has said.
The release candidate will not expire until June 1, 2010, although it will begin automatically shutting down at two-hour intervals starting March 1, 2010.
Rose reminded users of Windows 7 Beta that they face those auto-shutdowns much sooner. "You need to move to the RC and fast," he said. "Starting July 1, the Beta will start to reboot every 2 hours and [it will] expire Aug 1."
Microsoft panicked some Windows 7 Beta users last month when it mistakenly told them that the auto-rebooting would start June 1.
Users can download Windows 7 RC at this Microsoft site, where they can also obtain a product activation key.
- Microsoft's Windows 7-to-XP downgrade plan a 'real mess,' says analyst
- Windows 7 upgrade programs will start soon, vary by vendor
- Microsoft caves to EU antitrust pressure over IE
- Microsoft trying to set own antitrust remedy, says Opera CEO
- EC to pursue antitrust case despite Microsoft's IE decision
- Analysis: Microsoft could cut Windows 7 list price to $100
- Report: Best Buy memo prices Windows 7 upgrades at $50
- Microsoft sets Windows 7 launch for Oct. 22
- Speed Test: Windows 7 RC not much faster than Vista
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Global Bank Improves Quality of Application Development Read how this financial institution centralized build assets, cut development time in half and added additional security controls.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts