Computerworld UK - Linux on mainframes is set to increase as enterprises look to deliver more value from existing IT assets during the recession.
Independent research firm TheInfoPro questioned IT executives and managers from companies with at least $2 billion in annual revenue about their use of the Linux operating system on IBM mainframes.
The CA-sponsored survey revealed that many use or are evaluating Linux integration: 93% of respondents projected that their use of IBM's Integrated Facility for Linux (IFL) speciality mainframe processor would increase or remain steady over the course of the next two years. Forty-two percent projected that their use of the IFL would grow between 21% and 40%, and 10% projected that it would grow more than 76%.
There were two main reasons for this increased use of Linux on the mainframe. Many said the desire to take advantage of computing capacity available on their mainframe's central processors and/or IFLs was an important driver. Secondly, respondents expected Linux on the mainframe would be more cost-effective than other platforms.
Environmental initiatives to consolidate infrastructure was another driver to use Linux.
When asked to rate how well specific aspects of Linux on the mainframe provided benefits, respondents gave the highest ratings to backup, restore and disaster recovery; the ability to scale to many virtual machines; security; and availability of applications. Scalability received the strongest rating overall.
"Linux on the mainframe is clearly a very attractive platform choice for IT organisations that have to continue scaling the services they deliver to the business, even as their infrastructure budgets are constrained by market uncertainty and competing priorities," said Michael Zinda, senior vice president in CA's mainframe business unit.
"This study shows that customers are very much aware of the unique value that Linux offers on the mainframe and that the mainframe remains an ongoing focus for IT investment."
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts