Reports: Apple to flip iPhone 3.0 update switch at 1 p.m. Eastern
Carriers tell customers in Sweden, elsewhere, to expect new software within hours
Computerworld - Apple Inc. won't release the iPhone 3.0 software update today until 1 p.m. Eastern, 10 a.m. Pacific, according to reports on the Web citing carrier messages to their customers.
As of 11 a.m. Eastern, the smartphone's update, which Apple said last week would be delivered today, was not yet available via iTunes.
According to at least two sites, Engadget and The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW), Apple carrier partners in several countries, including Hong Kong, Singapore and Sweden, have sent text messages to customers telling them of the local time when the update will be ready to download.
"According to an announcement from Telia in Sweden - iPhone OS 3.0 will be available 7pm in Sweden (GMT +2)," one Swedish user tweeted earlier today. That time in Sweden works out to 1 p.m. Eastern in the U.S.
At the moment, iPhone and iPod Touch users who click the "Check for Update" button in iTunes are told "This version of the iPhone software (2.2.1) is the current version."
Apple previewed iPhone 3.0 in March, and last week at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), the company touted the update's new features, including cut and paste, MMS, peer-to-peer gaming and App Store modifications for publishers and developers.
The new iPhone 3G S is scheduled to go on sale Friday, with AT&T Inc. kicking off pre-order fulfillment at 7 a.m. local time, and Apple's retail stores following at 8 a.m.
Both AT&T and Best Buy exhausted their inventories of iPhones for pre-order last weekend, while as of today, Apple's online store had deleted the text that had promised early orders would be delivered to customers on Friday.
- Apple delivers iPhone OS 3.0 update on schedule
- Your next iPhone: iPhone 3.0 update or iPhone 3G S?
- FAQ: What iPhone 3.0 means to you
- Palm Pre vs iPhone 3.0 vs Blackberry Storm 2
- Instant analysis: With iPhone OS 3.0, Apple opens the creativity coffers
- Apple struts iPhone 3.0, touts 100 new features
- iPhone 3.0 preview sways 20% of cell phone owners to buy Apple
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Network Hardware White Papers | Webcasts