Facebook dethrones MySpace in U.S. popularity race
Facebook has long overshadowed MySpace internationally, now it passed rival in U.S.
Computerworld - As one more slap in the face to the pioneer of the social networking phenomenon, Facebook has become more popular than MySpace here in the U.S.
Earlier this year, ComScore Inc. reported that, in December, Facebook Inc.'s site drew almost twice as many worldwide visitors as social networking pioneer and longtime market leader MySpace.com Inc. did. However, when it came to the United States, MySpace has clung to its leadership position.
That is no longer the case.
Online researcher ComScore released a report this week showing that five-year-old Facebook attracted 70.278 million unique visitors in the U.S. in May, just ahead of MySpace's total of 70.237 million. In April, MySpace had nearly 71 million unique visitors compared to Facebook's 67.481 million.
Worldwide, Facebook had more than 307 million unique visitors in May while MySpace attracted less than half of that total -- 123 million.
MySpace remains a go-to site for the tween and teen set, but Facebook has been getting significant growth from people who are closer to eligibility for AARP membership than they are to high school.
In February, Facebook's audience of people over the ripe old age of 35 increased by 23% compared with the same month in 2008, according to a report released today by Hitwise Pty., which also measures online traffic. While Facebook was launched to serve college students, the network over the past year or so has broadly expanded to include many middle-aged folks.
And those new older users have been doing great things for Facebook's numbers.
Earlier this month, a report from The Nielsen Co. showed that in April, Facebook users spent 13.9 billion minutes on that site, a dramatic hike from the year-earlier total of 1.7 billion minutes. The 700% increase let Facebook easily maintain its place atop the social networking business.
MySpace, according to Nielsen, came in a distant second, as users spent nearly 5 billion minutes on its site in April.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Knowledge Center White Papers | Webcasts