CIO - In my latest road speech, "13 Things CIOs Need to Survive This Recession," I make the recommendation to keep your selling shoes on-after all, CEOs are demanding more top-line results from IT investments, according to a recent Forrester Research study.
For over a decade, CIOs have invested in top-line technologies like customer relationship management, enterprise resource planning and content management systems. But my conversations with CIOs and chats with friends and family convince me that enterprises are missing out on an effective technology that is beginning to drive top-line results and improve customer satisfaction levels. And what's this technology? Texting!
Texting, or SMS (for short message service) involves messages of 160 characters or less. Twitter (at 140 characters) is the category's poster child, but texting is so much more than often-aimless "tweets." And it is gaining a foothold as a compelling corporate marketing and sales tool.
I attended a Wall Street conference where the presenter showed how an SMS strategy at a major drugstore chain drove customer satisfaction up 10 percentage points. The presentation did not detail top-line gains of the SMS strategy, but most would agree that satisfied customers tend to buy more products than unhappy ones.
In the question and answer portion of the presentation, an analyst asked, "Why didn't the company simply leverage an e-mail strategy to inform customers?" The reply: A constantly changing pricing strategy drove the firm to SMS. It reasoned that customers surely could be reached by e-mail, but there were two problems with it: Spam filters screened out many of the messages and many customers were not online all day.
But those customers did have cell phones that they constantly carried with them-cell phones that were on 24/7. I'm not encouraging you to create a corporate policy for use of texting-it would never work. But I do recommend setting up a meeting with your key sales and marketing colleagues to frame how your company can reach out to customers with a smart strategy.
Another benefit of embracing text messaging at work? Your kids will think you are really cool! And so will your CEO.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts